Revised BetaNet Node Hardware Requirements

@santoshlmn Anywhere, and be quick about it.

I had my bank flag me for “security” at purchase about 18 hours ago, and didn’t get the problem resolved until they opened about 7 hours ago. In the 11 hours between creating my cart and having my payment card reactivated, fully HALF the items in my cart went out of stock.

Newegg dot com is a reliable and professional source for hardware. They have a review system based on e-mailing specific questions to known professionals. It’s like wikihardware the store. Love 'em.

But seriously, at this point speed will save you hundreds of dollars.

Looks good!

The price of 4 sticks of 8GB RAM s about the same as 2 sticks of 16GB RAM, but has twice the pins to connect with. You get much snappier performance keeping all your RAM slots filled.

I’m doing the same thing with a blend of SATA and M.2, letting my OS sit on an M.2 drive and keeping the SATA drives exclusively for XX tx. It’s 100% unnecessary over-engineering, but it’ll be fun :smiley:

I ended up with the Asus Prime X570-P in my cart as well xD

@Icarus Yes, I’ll be using 4 8GB RAM sticks as well!

Have you already chosen a GPU? I had though about the Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 (P/N: 90YV0DK0-M0NA00), but I can’t find it in the official Asus Prime X570-P device QVL list.

This (more expensive) one is in the QVL list: Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 (P/N 90YV0DI0-M0NA00)

@alexdupre Any thoughts on whether one should choose a GPU in the official MOBO QVL and/or on how these two GPUs compare?

Thanks!

Honestly… I just got the first GPU from a trustworthy manufacturer (gigabyte) that was in stock, and had 8GB of GDDR. The way I’m watching prices increase, speed mattered more than anything.

1 Like

@Icarus, thanks for the tip. I am talking about sites that let you pickup your parts and they send you assembled pc. I see some pc in ebay that meet the requirements. Are there websites that let you pick parts and send assembled pc?

@santoshlmn I can’t figure out how to do a DM on this… but I’ve got you covered. Can you hit me up on discord? I’m :four_leaf_clover:Icårus​:four_leaf_clover:#8604

It might have to do with stock and supply disruptions caused by the lockdown, plus people purchasing for their home offices and gaming. I didn’t notice substantial price increases here, but I did see several components running out of stock in real-time as I was adjusting my part list (as my Cooler Master case :slightly_frowning_face:; I’ll finally try a Phanteks Eclipse P600S, which seems very spacious, versatile and silent, according to reviews).

@lonewolf I mean, in a world where the supermajority of humans are under house arrest, it might be reasonable to assume there’ll be a shortage of graphics card and …hand-sanitizer…

Just imagine how many Americans (including this one) just spent their stimulus check in a single shopping cart >.<

@Icarus Thanks, Can’t find you on discord, can you add me, I am santoshlmn#9767

1 Like

Hi!
Thanks for your post!

I have the same question as a Elvis. As far as I know, the i7 9700k does not support HT. but in case its a good productive cold processor. passmark about 15k
Is this function (HT) a prerequisite? or is there another chance for the i7 9700k?

1 Like

Hyper-threading is not a requirement. Said so, both passmark and cinebench are below the requested score, even if slightly.

Hi @zim ,
I’m sure that a little worked with CPU and bus settings (overclock) > will allow to achieve an increase of at least 10-15% (of course, it depends on the your CPU crystal), but as said @benger “you will be fine”. :wink:
Will try. :muscle:

P.S. Всё будет хорошо, ну или очень хорошо!

2 Likes

Hi,

Is necessary to use 1Tb ssd in betanet? 500Gb will not be enough?
Can Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 be used? It has less then 5% difference in performance compared with RTX 2070.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 cannot be used in a node, because it does not have Turing technology. And I can’t answer your question about ssd 500Gb, but I’m also interested in finding out.

500Gb will be fine for BetaNet. The spec of 1Tb is to avoid having to upgrade for MainNet.

@djandre is correct. GTX 1080 is not built on the correct micro-architecture.

1 Like

I am interested to understand better how is the Turing GPU used to determine if there is a benefit to have 2080 vs 2070 vs 2070 Super vs … What really matters?

• Is it the frequency?
  • Is it the number of CUDA cores?

I am also wondering if a 10TB@100MBits is enough per month or should I get a 100TB@100MBits or more? The price changes quite a bit in the data center.

Turing micro-architecture.
2304 CUDA cores.

2304 is the minimum for this chipset, if we could say that.

For example RTX 2070 Super has 2560 or 2944 for RTX 2080.

I guess will going to find out on the way.

I had certain doubts if i should get RTX 2070 or 2080.

I chose the RTX 2070 Windforce 2x (standard 2306 CC)

I have a few questions:
1.What is software requirements for nodes?
2.What is the approximate amount electricity use in kwh/month? (average)
Thanks.

The team will publish initial information on the betanet software probably next week. As for now we just know that the recommended OS is Ubuntu Server 18.04.

Power consumption will depend a lot on your own server specifications.

You can play with this (or other similar) calculator to get an approximate consumption range for your particular build, knowing that servers will supposed to be idle (awaiting random selection) about 30% of the time. And also that most calculations will involve the GPU (rather than the CPU). I’m afraid we don’t know much more than that for now.

Don’t know, maybe around 300-500 kwh/month, very roughly?

3 Likes