Revised BetaNet Node Hardware Requirements

I am seeing a lot of people choosing Samsung 860 pro as SSD2. Is there any advantage of using 860 pro as SSD2 rather than 970 pro itself? There doesn’t seem to be much price difference between the two.

Has anyone here been succesfull in putting a RTX 2070 or RTX 2070 Super in a 1U GPU server? I heard that 1U servers like the SuperMicro 5019GP-TT only works with thinner cards like RTX 2080 Ti? It would be very helpful to hear if anyone has been able to fit a RTX 2070 (41 mm / 1.6") into a 1U server (43mm / 1.7"). Thank you in advance,

@Keith does a walk through of a 1U node build with a 2070 here … The Mythical 1U BetaNode

Forgot about that article. Thank you very much. Awesome! It is possible :smiley:

1 Like

@benger Guys, i have a few questions:

My current hardware for the Node is a Samsung 970 M.2 500 Gb and a 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo for the Gateway.
As i understand, for now, in the BetaNet it is OK(hopefully).

1. I’ll be using the entire space on the Ubuntu Server, set up and run all the requirements, BUT when i will be doing the upgrade to the 1TB drive what will happen with the current config and the integrity of the node?
    I will start all over again with the steps?

2. Now i have Win 10 x64 installed on the M.2 SSD.
    I will erase everything for Ubuntu and add another SSD for win 10.
    Can i run both In Dual boot?

3. In Ubuntu Server i will be able to control my RGB lighting and Fan settings? (Icue, Aorus Engine, RGB Fusion 2.0)

Thank you

During BetaNet everything will be located in one directory, /opt/xxnetwork/
So in the event that you need to move to a new computer or switch out a drive, you can copy the entire directory to a usb and move it to a new drive in /opt/. It will function exactly the same. You will have to reinstall drivers and create the symlink to /etc/systemd/system/xxnetwork-**.service but that’s about it.

You can run one or the other at one time but you can’t run both at the same time.

This is a tricky one to answer. I’m not familiar with the features and functions you are asking about and some might be proprietary without open-source support from the linux community. I can say that Ubuntu Server is currently using 4.15.0-101-generic kernel and not all the functionality of the newer Linux Kernel 5.0 that’s used in Ubuntu Desktop have been back-ported. I would suggest searching combinations of words like “icue ubuntu” or “linux rgb fusion”

2 Likes

It is loud! :rofl:

@Keith Awesome. Thank you :slight_smile:

I was planning something like this with the SYS-1018GR-T supermicro but sadly had to cancel (due to ongoing USA regulatory issues). You might make use of my notes here https://staging-forum.xx.network/t/what-is-your-betanode-build/1288/4?u=heo

Even within a chipset (say RTX 2070) different brand video cards have different width/height specs but some are similar in dimensions to the professional video card. For reference, the K20 specs are “dual slot” by 111.15mm high by 266.7mm long. I have taken an educated guess that by “dual slot” Nvidia means 38.6mm wide. The K20 is a blower style computing GPU.

I highly recommend sticking with a blower/turbo style and sticking to smaller dimensions ( a lot of the vendors really really bloat their card sizes, even their turbo style). I found the stated card dimension specs by vendors to not be necessarily accurate. In this regard it is my educated guess that EVGA blowers (i.e. EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER blower) keep the tightest card dimensions and therefore might be most compatible in this situation.

The main issue that I anticipate is that the power connector is in a different spot on the consumer cards versus the professional cards. This could still work, with a custom power adapter if the case does not provide enough extra mm.

See my notes on this, and good luck.

1 Like

Did anyone experience issues with running the node on a double NAT’s setup on home network?
https://staging-forum.xx.network/t/double-nat-isp-challeneges/1868?u=mohakagr

I’ve never run into Double NAT with an ISP. When looking online for a solution, it seems like one has two courses of action.

1. Contact the ISP and request, and possibly pay for, a public IP.
  2. Change ISPs.
1 Like

I have a computer with a mobo with two ethernet network cards, therefore with two possible connections to the network, and in the same mobo I have two ssd disks of 1tb each.
Do you think it would be possible to use one card and one disk for the gateway and the other ssd and the other network card for the node? that is, would you have an isolated node and gateway this way?
I don’t know if this is the same as having the node and the gateway on two computers …
Thanks

In my case, I have fiber from Vodafone and to avoid the Router firmware limitations I mantain the ONT and install a Mikrotik Router configured with the VLANs for the contracted services. The ISP provides a public IP adddress on the internet VLAN. Where do you live?

As I understand, the goal for the Gateway is to avoid DoS on the node side. They have two different Public IP. In your case your configuration is only on LAN side, right?

hi, from Spain, and you?

Thanks. I live in India. I am not able to get any definitive answers from the ISPs and not sure if I’d be able to run node easily without trying out a few ISPs first and then cancel the contract for the ones that doesn’t work out.

I’m from the Iberian team also, Portugal. Saludos!

1 Like

I have a probably silly question: if I have a fiber line at home with your router of for example 600 mb, to which I have connected a couple of pcs for home use, it is absolutely necessary to contract another independent line with another router or is there some way in which I can use the line that I already have contracted and maintain the connection of the home pcs?
Thanks

1 Like

Check it please. Any suggestion or comment would be welcome.

-AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
-AARDWOLF Performa 10X ARGB (APF-10XPFM-120 ARGB)
-MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
-32[2x16]GB DDR4 3200MHz G.Skill Ripjaws V (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
-NVIDIA GeForce Gigabyte RTX 2070 SUPER (GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD) 8Gb DDR6
-SSD M.2 Samsung 1Tb 970 PRO Series (MZ-V7P1T0BW)
-Deepcool Matrexx 55meshBlack (DP-ATX-MATREXX55-mesh)
-Chieftec 550Wgpu-550FC
-140mm be quiet! Purewings 2
-140mm be quiet! Purewings 2
-120mm be quiet! Purewings 2

Can you please check for Gateway? Do i need anything else for a Gateway?

AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5GHZ
Samsung 860 EVO SATA 250 GB SSD 3.0
POWER BOOST VK-1630 500w USB 3.0 M
GSKILL 8GB Ripjaws V 3000MHZ CL16 DDR4 Sin
GIGABYTE A320M H 3200MHZ(OC) DDR4 Soket AM4 M.2 HD

Thanks in advance for your help.