Orange VIII Node Application 12449260424

Respondent ID 12449260424
End Date 02/28/2021 2:29:36 AM
language en
If you have previously applied to be a node please provide us with your application ID. Second-time applicants will be highly considered. You can email us at [email protected] if you don't know your application ID.
City/Town Auckland
State/Province
Country New Zealand
What languages do you speak? (Please separate with commas so we can parse them) English
What is your occupation? Non-technical Role or Other (please specify)
Non-technical Role or Other (please specify) Photographer / Videographer
How many years experience in your field? 8-15
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Bachelor’s degree (for example: BA. BS)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Auckland
Node State/Province
Node Country New Zealand
For which networks have you ever operated a node?
  • Other (please specify): None
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? The instruction manual is great for a non tech person with a little knowledge. However maybe having a user friendly interface to help automate the process of setting up a node for a complete novice, for more market adoption.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? Only setback would be my ISP (if they have issues), but have not had any issues ever since I've been with them for the past 3 years, connection has been consistent.
What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 500 Mbps
What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 900 Mbps
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 80
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. NZD$0.28 kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 75
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Stuff Fibre / Vocusgroup NZ
If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it. Nodes will not be allowed to run on Hetzner. If you do, you will not receive compensation.
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? Currently have Ryzen 3700X CPU, RTX2070 GPU and 32GB Ram leftover from an upgrade. Will order new motherboard, case and psu within the next week.
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Why do you want to be a node? Wanting to join XX as I believe in it's values of privacy and decentralization (more power to the people!). I am eager to learn about what it takes to run a node (newbie here) and further deepen my knowledge about blockchain technology than just buying and trading various "coins / tokens". The XX Community is very resourceful and helpful, I would love to contribute to it's growth. And I'd be lying if earning another source of income was not a motivating factor.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Word of Mouth
Which current xx network communities are you a member of?
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • Discord
  • BetaNet Forum
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? Privacy and quantum security. We all know our data is vulnerable and often sold to big corporations / governments by social media platforms. XX Network seems to be the most logical solution to the problems we see in a modern and digitally dependent society.
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? No
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? No
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
  • Instructional video content: Created video and photo content for SME and personal projects
  • Livestream/broadcast video content: Familiar with live streaming applications
  • Other: Currently working on a Youtube channel with curated content around trading
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. 1
Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? No
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network
  • To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations
  • To promote quantum secure distributed systems
  • To earn xx coins
  • To contribute to a promising project
  • To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies
  • To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? From what I understand decentralized networks do not have a single authority that controls the nodes, they are individual entities. In distributed networks every node is independent and interconnected with each other. I favour both but depends on each individual use.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. XX Network offers a truly private, decentralized messaging and payment platform by implementing blockchain technology and encryption which obscures metadata.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Privacy by default is freedom. Freedom to choose what information you want to see and what information you want to share without censorship. Let the individual make their own decisions rather than being dictated by governments and false media. Protect our own privacy from our data being misused / leaked / sold etc by centralized organisations.
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? Who knows...With technology growing at insane rates, quantum computers may be able to break a blockchain's cryptographic codes. That being said, more technologies will emerge to prevent such a thing. As for centralized systems, applications, security encryptions etc will soon be redundant.
2 Likes

Looks good to me!

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate it!

I like this applicant

1 Like

Thank you @wenzelvk :pray:t5:

Good application :+1:

1 Like

Appreciate it @Moose :call_me_hand:t5:

Awesome you got my vote.
Nice to have you here.

1 Like

@Abbaskaya thanks for the warm welcome my friend :relaxed:

1 Like

Sounds like a true believer in the vision. Good for the geographical spread, we need more kiwis :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks good, you have my vote

1 Like

Looks good!

1 Like

@Sanre4L thanks mate, appreciate the support :call_me_hand:t5:

Thanks for the support @Halim

@DipNoJutsu I appreciate you!! :facepunch:t5:

So regardless if my application is chosen or not, my PC node is ready to go. Full disclosure, I made a minor change to CPU. Parts as below.

RYZEN 5 PRO 3600 cpu
RTX 2070 gpu
32GB DDR4-3200 ram
Samsung 970 Evo plus 1tb NVme

All the best to everyone that applied!

1 Like

I think you will run a node soon enough.

1 Like

Very nice application, you have my vote :slight_smile:

Regarding being a newbie, I can tell you i never used linux before this. Its very nice to learn. The Handbook and youtube helped me alot though.

If you ever get problems just reach out the the devs on discord. They will help you in no time :100:

1 Like

Thanks for the support @Eyez

Will definitely take your recommendation and study more!

Appreciate you taking the time to go through my application :+1:t5:

Has my vote! Have to get your start somewhere, take it all in and enjoy! :grinning:

1 Like