Orange VIII Node Application 12420927956

Respondent ID 12420927956
End Date 02/18/2021 12:54:08 PM
language en
If you have previously applied to be a node please provide us with your application ID. Second-time applicants will be highly considered. You can email us at [email protected] if you don't know your application ID.
City/Town Milano
State/Province MI
Country Italia
What languages do you speak? (Please separate with commas so we can parse them) Italian, English
What is your occupation? Non-technical Role or Other (please specify)
Non-technical Role or Other (please specify) Multimedia engineer and digital media content designer
How many years experience in your field? 16+
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Milano
Node State/Province MI
Node Country Italy
For which networks have you ever operated a node?
  • Other (please specify): sorry, it would be my first time
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? it's all about speed
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? none
What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 152 Mbps
What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 899 Mbps
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 80
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. 0,035$ KWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 71
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Vodafone
If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it. Nodes will not be allowed to run on Hetzner. If you do, you will not receive compensation.
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? Intel Core i9-10980XE, 256Gb ram, 1xRTX_2080ti, 1xRTX_ 2070super, 1xRTX_2070, 1xRTX_2060super, 1x2TB_M.2_SiliconPower
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Why do you want to be a node? It's a chance to use the computing power I originally bought for an ended project (and mining), fully use my smart working time, diversify my income and being part of something bigger and useful.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Telegram
Which current xx network communities are you a member of?
  • Telegram
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? the chance it may give me
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? RNDR - Render Token
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)?
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
  • Livestream/broadcast video content: broadcast is my job since 1998
  • Group messaging curation / management (telegram, whatsapp, etc): very confortable both in Italian and English
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. I can do a few things in Italian (I guess there are not many people doing this), everything depends on the project, I can espimate 1 vlog per month and some random twit. If I feel confortable about the kind of content (that I suspect you will suggest me) I can do more.
Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? Yes
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network
  • To earn xx coins
  • To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world
  • To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit?
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? we already sold off our life/data/privacy, hope future generations will better their position. I would like to help.
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? Quantum computers have too many biases regarding our actual way of thinking and using computational power, it's more about Philosophy than tech. Infact the head of AWS Quantum Computing has a degree in Philosophy.

Hello everybody, just re-reading my answers: there are some that may be misunderstood, plus there are some update:
i) my experience in multimedia and media content design is 22 years, I am one of the most productive ones in the field (realized more than 30 hours of motion graphic content);
ii) I have a Master Degree in Multimedia content design;
iii) no experience running a node but I’m a very fast learner (and a hardware freak);
iv) actually I just made a server based on a I7-9900k, 64gb ram, Titan RTX and all on M.2 disk that can run 24/7 on the project exclusively (ups protected);
v) about my capability of create content, saying “I suspect you will suggest me” sounded really wrong, sorry. I know that you wanna go deep into knowing me but some automatic shield rose. I’m totally in control of my projects/communications but if it comes to tell about xx network I expect some guidance about the topic 'cause everything is so new to me.
vi) I’m really mad about the lack of privacy we have actually and everything fighting the big brother is fine to me.
That said, I’m open to answer to any question, so: game on!
(and thanx for the chance :pray:)

1 Like

I like your application you have my vote.

1 Like

Cheers!

Looks good you have my vote

1 Like

It’s a tentative yes for me. While I’d like to see the answers to all the last questions, the application is solid. The only problem is your upload speed. If you plan on running the gateway and node on the same machine you’ll need 200 Mbps upload. You can circumvent this if you run the gateway on a VPS.

1 Like

Hello and thanks for you time and the words :pray:t2:
Just a quick reply to @mrblister about my bandwith: theoretical is 1000 Mbps in download and 200 Mbps in upload.
I gave you the lowest benchmark I got with a speedtest. Today for example I tested again and I got 918 Mbps in download and 189 Mbps in upload. By the way I felt safe to give those numbers because, according to Revised BetaNet Node Hardware Requirements I was in the safe range.
Just consider that in my Country, as far as you don’t have some fancy business contract as a company, this speed is the best of the best and average velocity in Italy is less than 50 Mbps in download (you can figure upload :disappointed: ).
I’m lucky that I live inside the fastest ring of the fastest city.
About the missing questions: honest, I could have copy/pasted some words then I preferred not to answer, because I bet, 50% of answers you got were given in this way. I can tell that I’m partecipating to a distributed rendering project and I love it because I can undestand it; when it comes to privacy, I listen to David Chaum about benefits of decentralized networks, but we are way too far from my comprehension, so (for me) it becomes an act of faith: yes I have faith in xx network.
That said my original answer (that I omitted) was: one job, one tool.
Cheers again

Looks great then! I was mistaken about the upload speed for the node+gateway setup. It turns out that 150 Mbps is fine. So you have my vote.

1 Like

You’ll only need one of those in the node. With GPUs hard to come by these days, you’ve got a nice stash for after we’re fully decentralized and people can run multiple nodes.

3 Likes

yes, this was pretty lucky: I have like other 8 gpus in the drawer :heart:

Good application you got my support

1 Like

thank you!!! :pray:t2:

Have my support. :metal:

1 Like

yeah, super thanx!

Here we go!
Thank you so much for your interest and the questions.
Starting from now I’ll enter AMA mode :laughing:
I’ll break the ice saying that I assembled the pc myself: I made some easy to move/carry micro-atx rig, watercooled by a 240 radiator plus a 120 one, it has 64Gb ram and a Titan RTX.
The case has a handle and is yellow (don’t know why, but I feel a bit like I’m sharing my underwear’s color LOL).
This is how geek I am: I like to build up my little helpers :heart:

Just to say that my node/gateway is running!!!

So happy and excited :heart: