Orange IV Node Application 12112711167

Respondent ID 12112711167
End Date 10/27/2020 6:55:24 AM
language en
If you have previously applied to be a node please provide us with your application ID.
City/Town Madrid
State/Province Madrid
Country Spain
What languages do you speak? English, Spanish
What is your occupation? Non-technical Role or Other (please specify)
Non-technical Role or Other (please specify) Geophysicist, Enthusiast
How many years experience in your field? 8-15
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Bachelor’s degree (for example: BA. BS)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? Yes
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Madrid
Node State/Province Madrid
Node Country Spain
For which networks have you ever operated a node?
  • Bitcoin (BTC, BCH, etc)
  • Other (please specify): Cardano
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? Clear guidelines on minimum hardware requirements are always good, because once approved I will purchase a computer specifically for running my node. I will have a physical machine in my apartment for running it.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? My skill level is probably lower than most, so I will likely ask quite a lot of questions, but I have a passion for cryptocurrency.
What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 300
What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 300
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 98
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. 0.27 USD per 1 kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 100
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Lowi (Vodafone infrastructure)
If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it.
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications? No
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: Only simple laptops. My plan is to buy a new computer, for roughly 2000 Euros, for running the node and I think the rewards will cover the cost of it.
Why do you want to be a node? Passion for cryptocurrency and opportunity to earn some money. I have a lot of spare time and I would like to use it to do something productive and earn money (cryptocurrency).
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Coindesk
Which current xx network communities are you a member of?
  • Telegram
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? The approach looks very innovative and I also have a lot of faith in David Chaum.
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? I was very active in the Cardano node testnet and I am currently active in the Bitcoin lightning node groups.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? No
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
    As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? How much content on a monthly basis? No
    Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? No
    Why do you want to run a node in the xx network
    • To protect the privacy of political speech
    • To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations
    • To promote quantum secure distributed systems
    • To earn xx coins
    • To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world
    • To contribute to a promising project
    • To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies
    • To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy
    What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Distributed networks still rely on one or various hubs, which are a weak point for the network. Decentralised networks connect all participants on an equal basis, meaning they are much more resilient. I prefer fully decentralised, although I think that tecnhnical limits can restrain the number of nodes which are feasible. So far I have arrived at the conclusion that 500 unique nodes would be decentralised enough.
    As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Many of the aspects seem better, but the privacy and decntralisation of the network are the main factors that catch my attention.
    Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Because if not by default, people can be punished for choosing the private option. This defeats the purpose.
    In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? They might be able to break the current cryptographic methods. With the ability to do an order of magnitude more calculations, I suppose they could brute force attack by calculating trillions of possible private keys. In centralised systems this would be even more fatal because the 'honey pots' for information are very obvious.

Nice application! You got my vote! There is a strong community on discord, so if you need help, there are always some guys who will help you!

1 Like

Hello, I am the applicant. 3 important corrections to my application above:

1. My plan is to buy a new computer for 3400 Euros (including monitor & tax), not 2000 Euros as stated above. All specs will be either equal to or superior to the recommendations.

2. Recorded actual internet speeds in my apartment are 310 Mbps download and 117 Mbps upload.

3. I wanted to let everyone know that I changed my mind about the social media updates and YES, I quickly realised that I will indeed be happy to give social media updates on my node (in both English and Spanish as I am bilingual).

@TheTerran

See pages 3-4 of the Beta Node Handbook

Yup, I’m pretty happy with the clarity given so far. Also, let’s continue this as we go forwards because we may learn new things about hardware requirements that we didn’t expect in the beginning.

Nice application
    Only your bild is to expansive €2000 and you got a nice node and gateway

1 Like

Good app…has my vote.

1 Like

I agree that it could be a bit cheaper. I decided to treat myself a bit and go a bit above the spec. However, with your comment in mind I decided to shave off 300 Euros worth in the name of being sensible. Thanks

A good application.therefore you have my vote.

1 Like

Good news! The application has been accepted in the initial decision phase. However, there is still a week remaining before the final decision and this is a good time to ask any more questions that you can think of. Please fire away, I am more than happy to answer.

Has my vote.

1 Like

guy from Spain, i think it would be nice foe decentralized, has my vote

1 Like

Muchas gracias. Here in Madrid we enjoy exceptional internet speeds as fibre optic is wired directly into our apartments and Spain is usually at the cutting edge of new innovations in connectivity. Great railways too, but that’s another story.

Do you plan to use your new computer also for other things, or will you run only the node software on it?

The new computer will be totally dedicated to being an XX Network node. I have a perfectly good laptop for all of my personal things. The only exception will be the monitor, which I will occasionally plug into my laptop to watch Netflix on a nice big screen!

1 Like

Great. I support your application then!

1 Like

Hello, you have not been rejected. You were included in the initial list and will be included in the final list which we will publish shortly.

1 Like

Thank you for this update :slight_smile:

Great news, the application was accepted in the final decision! I am very happy and grateful to those of you who voted in my favour. I will give all that I’ve got to this project and together we will build a strong network.

1 Like