Orange III Node Application 11983496304, submitted on 09-13-2020

Respondent ID 11983496304
Application Date 09/13/2020 5:51:26 AM
Applicant City Woluwe St Pierre
Applicant State/Province Wallonia
Applicant Country Belgium
What is your occupation? Manager
How many years experience in your field? 8-15
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? Yes
Are you an individual or a group?
Node City Woluwe St Pierre
Node Province Wallonia
Node Country Belgium
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? Bitcoin (BTC, BCH, etc)
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? Existing nodes do not auto update and sometimes get stuck. It would be nice to also have a transaction manager/broadcaster with an indexer, ... and associated services maybe even a TX browser
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? None known at the moment
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 95
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. 150 to 300 EURO
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 4
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? Yes (please describe), I also have close friends operating production servers
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? No
Specs
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: No, I will buy exactly the recommended hardware as soon as my application is approved.
Why do you want to be a node? As an investor in XX coins, I want to contribute further in the network and ensure that it performs well.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Word of Mouth
Which current xx network communities are you a member of? Facebook
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? It shares the same goal as Bitcoin but it seems revolutionnary in its new archicture and features like anonymity, energy efficiency, quantum resistant, scalability allowing the development of more applications than simply digital cash
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones?
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? I have read books about blockchains and bitcoin and I am following online news/vlogs.
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. No
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network? To protect the privacy of political speech, To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations, To earn xx coins, To contribute to a promising project, To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies, To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy, To reverse the political centralization of legal, police, and military organizations which favor the wealthy and powerful
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit?
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. The world is slowly shifting in the direction of an Orwellian society. XX network offer an alternative thanks to its unique privacy built-in at the core and from the get go.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet?
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems?
1 Like

Do you know the HW requirements and what HW would you exactly buy?

please give an answer what exactly equipment do you want to take, and can you give more answers?

1. The name of my Internet Service Provider: Orange Belgium SA
  2. It will be hosted in my personal apartment.

I carefully read the requirements. The HW equipment I will buy:
RAM: 2x16G @2933MHz or @3200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (beats the required PassMark)
GPU: Gigabyte NVidia Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER
Storage: 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2, PCIe NVMe 3500Mb/R, 3300MB/W
Power supply: 600W or 700W

Answers to more questions:
Q: What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit?
My answer: I am in favor of centralization. Distributed networks relates to geographical distribution for resiliency and performance but does not guarantee decentralization. Decentralization networks prevents that a single actor has a monopolistic and dictatorial control over the network for his own benefits.

Q: Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet?
My answer: We have seen throughout history that information can be interpreted and abused when a dictator or autoritarian party rise to power. The freedom of speech is menaced even among democraties. Privacy is a one of the mechanism to preserve freedom of opinion which should be a right for everyone.

Q: In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems?
My answer: Quantum CPU could substitute to part of the network and with their massive power could hack systems like Bitcoin. The risk with centralized systems concerns governance and the benefits of major corporations like GAFA and their shareholders over the individual at the expense of the customer and their freedom of choices.

You have my support, I guess your home connection bandwidth meets or exceeds the minimum requirements?

My internet connection gives me 400 mbits down/40 mbits up with the best package.

Thanks for the reply. Download seems fine, but wouldn’t it be possible to upgrade your upload bandwidth? 40 Mbps is below minimum requirements, it might be insufficient to perform well under current and/or future network conditions.

If both bandwidth and HW requirements are meet, you have my vote.

The HW is not a problem. The issue is with the bandwidth. The best that I can have from my Orange provider is 400 mbits in download and 40 mbits in upload. They offer optical fiber with 1 Gbits in download and 200 mbits in upload for the same price but not yet at my location. It might become available next year but I have no control on when it becomes available.

I don’t know what to do. Should I host the node somewhere else where I can have a better bandwidth or is it worth trying at my location until it becomes insufficient or is it not possible ?

Either run from a datacenter or find another location to run.