Violet Node Application 11642013263, submitted on 05-27-2020

Respondent ID 11642013263
Application Date 05/27/2020 4:35:27 PM
Applicant City Stoke on Trent
Applicant State/Province Staffs
Applicant Country UK
What is your occupation? IT
How many years experience in your field? 16+
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Bachelor’s degree (for example: BA. BS)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Stoke on Trent
Node Province Staffs
Node Country UK
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? Ethereum (ETH, ETC, etc)
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? With the XX nodes not being a competition based system such as Ethereum and Botcoin I do not think it will suffer the same issues regarding node (mining) operations in that I am hoping that the cost of running a node/gateway will remain fairly constant rather than the seemingly constant upgrading required to 'mine'/process ETH and BTC effectively.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? Unknown mainnet requirement make planning for a xx node past the Betanet difficult to a) cost and b)plan for.
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 99
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. £0.14 / KwH
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 54
Connection speed 200Mbps
In what type of environment would this server be located? Office (server room)
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? No
Specs
Why do you want to be a node? To help to develop the XX network. I believe passionately in this project and want to help bring about its success.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Twitter
Which current xx network communities are you a member of? Twitter
Are you an active member of those communities? Yes
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? The privacy aspect of the network (along with the high TPS) is the most interesting part. The quantum resistance is important but the process of anonymising information is superb!
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? No
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? Love4Crypto UK
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience: Group messaging curation: Local Shooting Club group management
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. What ever is required (within reason)
Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? Yes
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network? To promote quantum secure distributed systems, To earn xx coins, To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world, To contribute to a promising project
Other Reasons
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Decentralized networks have all aspects of the network decentralized including assets, governance, as well as the physical network itself. Whilst this is a beautiful concept, having this run in the real work is currently hard to envisage. Hopefully this will be realized in the future but for now I am happy to work towards it.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Being a quantum resistant network, with various companies chasing quantum computing (and succeeding to some degree), is obviously an important differentiator but my favourite aspect is the mechanism of anonymising the data sent over the network, especially the metadata!
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? With large companies around the world looking to use (sometimes maliciously) the data that we freely provide online there is a very important roll to play for networks that allow users to send information, not just privately, but anonymously, without government of corporate intervention and interrogation.
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? Should quantum computing be perfected to the degree that it can break current encryption everything, both centralised and decentralised systems are at risk. The ability to reverse engineer private keys from public keys, and the contents of network messages being easily intercepted and decrypted would pose unprecedented problems.
3 Likes

Strong applicant.

If anyone has any questions regarding this application I am more than happy to answer them. :+1:

Appreciated :+1:

Great answers. I recommend this applicant.

1 Like

Thank you very much :+1:

Just a bit of additional info.

Whilst I don’t have the hardware for a node currently (I answered ‘No’ in the application above) I would, as soon as confirmed as a Betanode operator, ensure I had a system running meeting the full BetaNode spec.