Respondent ID 11631713252
Application Date 05/24/2020 02:09:46 PM
Applicant City Copenhagen
Applicant State/Province
Applicant Country Denmark
What languages do you speak? English, Lithuanian, Russian
What is your occupation? Software Development
How many years experience in your field? 8-15
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? Yes
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Copenhagen
Node Province
Node Country Denmark
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? Cannot answer this question yet.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? None actually.
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 90
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. ~50 USD per year
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 50
Connection speed 200Mbps
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? I spent 9 years at a startup taking care of pretty much everything - from HW set-up (physical, virtual, cloud) to SW deployment, network, DB admin, to Product Manamgement and in general I am extremely tech savvy person, so would love to deepen my skills in crypto space, thus applying for this opportunity :)
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? No
Specs
Why do you want to be a node? As mentioned previously, I am very tech savvy and currently I am exploring/learning the intersection between crypto and AI. I understand that running a node would help me understand the inner workings of crypto a lot better than reading or playing in sand-boxes. On another note, even though I am currently doing quite well in my digital Product job, I am actively thinking about returning to software development and hoping that exposure to running a node would serve as input to this thinking and ultimate decision about my future career.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? At Web Summit 2019 I attended the talk by D. Chaum, which left a very strong impression and sparked curiosity.
Which current xx network communities are you a member of? Twitter, LinkedIn
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? Extreme focus on privacy.
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? I'm currently more active in digital product management communities, but still keeping in touch with people like Greg Young to not lose touch with dev communities.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? Only some small gatherings/meet-ups, but not a full fledged conference solely focusing on blockchain.
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience: Livestream/broadcast: Yes, some of my talks at various conferences are posted online. , Other forum management: Yes, I have run and moderated automotive performance tuning forums for a few years (phpBB based mostly), Meetup group management: Yes, I'm co hosting ProductTank meetups in Denmark and Lithuania and recently became ambassador of Product Management Festival and will start running meetups in Denmark when covid situation is over.
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. To be honest, I don't know yet how much valuable content I could produce. I would aim at at least one "post" per month.
Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? Yes
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network? To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations, To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world, To contribute to a promising project, To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies, To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy
Other Reasons
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? The main diff in my head is the ownership of nodes - distributed nodes can be (and are usually) owned by one party, while decentralized network implies no single party owns the whole (or even majority) of the nodes. Ideologically I am a big fan of decentralization.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Privacy and transparency mostly, but I almost want to start quoting Silicon Valley series when thinking about xx network :)
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Google used to have a moto... Not any more :( That's the best example to me.
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? I'm not sure when we will see quantum supremacy in general fields of application, but the main threat could lie with the notion of "amount of work needed to achieve something" - QCs might drastically reduce the time needed to perform "some amount of work"... I guess same goes for both - centralized and decentralized systems, but I am not expert in QC, so just thinking out loud here.
3 Likes

You could be a good candidate if your connection speed could reach the minimum requirements (100 Mbps). You may want to elaborate on that here.

Hi, yes, good call out - I just noticed that the answer recorded was 40 - my bad, used the slider incorrectly. I currently have 200 and found good options to bump up to 1GBit, so should be fine I believe.

Thanks again for pointing this out!

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. Tricky slider indeed, I’m afraid many applications are not reflecting the intended value.

So my full support for your application!

1 Like

Thanks!

BTW, any chance the bandwidth info can be updated to reflect the true situation? Admins, or someone?

Probably the admins can. Anyway your application has been selected, so they’ve probably already taken good note of your actual nominal bandwidth. Congrats!

Thanks again!

Just wanted to make sure info is correct in case community raises concerns.