Orange XI Node Application 12645100047

Respondent ID 12645100047
End Date 05/10/2021 12:54:26 PM
language en
If you have previously applied to be a node please provide us with your application ID. Second-time applicants will be highly considered. You can email us at [email protected] if you don't know your application ID. 12386458622
City/Town Gatineau
State/Province Quebec
Country Canada
What languages do you speak? (Please separate with commas so we can parse them) English, French
What is your occupation? Non-technical Role or Other (please specify)
Non-technical Role or Other (please specify) Hairdresser, tattoo artist, crypto investor
How many years experience in your field? 8-15
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Associates degree (for example: AA, AS)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Gatineau
Node State/Province Quebec
Node Country Canada
For which networks have you ever operated a node?
  • Ethereum (ETH, ETC, etc)
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? Transparency and unity
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? none
What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 1000
What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 1000
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 95
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. 0.08$/kwh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 50
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). BELL
If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it. Nodes will not be allowed to run on Hetzner. If you do, you will not receive compensation. doesn't apply
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? intel i9, geforce rtx 3070, 16g ddr4, 1tb intel M.2 nvme ssd
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: no
Why do you want to be a node? To participate in the creation of a truly decentralized web. To prevent future privacy issues when quantum computers come of age. To be part of what will be the new standard.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? xx collective
Which current xx network communities are you a member of?
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • Discord
  • Facebook
Are you an active member of those communities? Yes
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? Quantum resistance, decentralized governance, the team's experience, and the fact things are not rushed into the sole idea of pushing a new coin
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? Medium and Discord, following many devs, some well known, some less. Some I appreciate, others I just learn from.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? no.
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
  • Group messaging curation / management (telegram, whatsapp, etc): Moderator on a few TG channels
  • Other forum management: Creating informational content for projects I supported.
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. 5-10
Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? Yes
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network
  • To protect the privacy of political speech
  • To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations
  • To promote quantum secure distributed systems
  • To earn xx coins
  • To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world
  • To contribute to a promising project
  • To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies
  • To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy
  • To reverse the political centralization of legal, police, and military organizations which favor the wealthy and powerful
  • Other (please specify): To assure there's enough nodes to help run and maintain the XX network.
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? I would love to make a drawing here. In essence, they're really 2 options: centralized or decentralized. Distributed is a step further on a decentralized spectrum. However, creating a new decentralized network needs some sort of directions, goals before even considering fully distributed network. And of course, in this case, it would be unfeasible (and it's not the point) to have every user of the XX network running a node. So necessarily, I lean towards the maximum decentralization that can be allowed without compromising the network.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Quantum resistance. Real world utility. (XX messenger, Praxxis and all it allows for future applications...)Transparency. David Chaum, and his: Experienced team, with ideas that don't only revolve around monetary value, rather ethical values as in privacy and respect for individuals
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Well, it's obvious. If you look at what happens in the world today, in terms of oppressed societies that don't have access to all information and can't communicate freely, but also democratic ones that are unwillingly -often unknowingly- being monitored. To prevent individuals becoming themselves (in this new GAFA economy), the product. To prevent social engineering, to choose what information we divulged. I could go on...
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? Toward any system, they represent a real risk. More so on a centralized system, of course (if the main servers get hacked, the whole network is compromised) as opposed to a decentralized network, where it becomes harder to 'attack' every sub-system, and so one part of that network could go down without compromising the whole network. With quantum computers, every information which is 'live' or 'hot' (on the internet) is subject to being easily hacked. And as I read somewhere: they won't tell you before they put them in use.

nice application - yes

good. my vote.

here is my vote

It’s a nice application and has my conditional support on the answer to this question:

I noticed that you were actually selected in Orange VIII, why didn’t you host a node then and what has changed now?

1 Like

Good application. Has my support.

Specify SSD,
Advice : one more 256GB SSD for gateway
: try to upgarde RAM to 32GB for Mainet
https://xx.network/blog/revised-betanet-hardware

Looks good

You have my vote. Application looks great👍

Looks great, has my support

Hello Worthy,

in the process of installing the node, I’ve lost some critical files (CRT-FEY-JSON) due to backup failure. Considering the files were saved with empty content, that XX support cannot reset, and after talking with them, we agreed that my only option was to reapply.

Thanks for your interest.

You got my vote.

That sucks! I am sure you will be backing up the important files many times for you new application! Good luck, you have my vote.

Great application and very good response. If selected please reach out, I can help you ensure your backup is done correctly.

Good application!