Orange VIII Node Application 12451189968

Respondent ID 12451189968
End Date 03/01/2021 4:01:20 AM
language en
If you have previously applied to be a node please provide us with your application ID. Second-time applicants will be highly considered. You can email us at [email protected] if you don't know your application ID.
City/Town Delhi
State/Province Delhi
Country India
What languages do you speak? (Please separate with commas so we can parse them) English, Hindi
What is your occupation? Non-technical Role or Other (please specify)
Non-technical Role or Other (please specify) Technologist Privacy promoter
How many years experience in your field? 4-7
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? Yes
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Delhi
Node State/Province Delhi
Node Country India
For which networks have you ever operated a node?
    What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? Not applicable
    What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? None
    What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 200 Mbps
    What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 200Mbps
    What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 80
    Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. 300-400 USD
    On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 50
    In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
    If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Bharti Airtel - Speed upto 1GBPS
    If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it. Nodes will not be allowed to run on Hetzner. If you do, you will not receive compensation. Not applicable
    Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
    Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? No
    Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: I would purchase the equipment upon receiving confirmation of node application acceptance
    Why do you want to be a node? Two major purposes: 1) Financial : To receive rewards from running the node. 2) Personal : To support the project which delivers Privacy and security
    How did you originally hear about the xx network? Reddit
    Which current xx network communities are you a member of?
    • Twitter
    • Telegram
    • Discord
    Are you an active member of those communities? Yes
    What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? Quantum resistant blockchain with focus on privacy and technology
    Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? None
    Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? Never
    Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
      As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. 1-2
      Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? Yes
      Why do you want to run a node in the xx network
      • To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations
      • To promote quantum secure distributed systems
      • To earn xx coins
      • To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world
      • To contribute to a promising project
      • To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies
      • To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy
      • To reverse the political centralization of legal, police, and military organizations which favor the wealthy and powerful
      What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit?
      As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Standard blockchains are limited to use and expansion for future is highly cumbersome as most of them were based on common ideas. Xx network focuses on development which is future proof, safe and fast. It is difficult to find such mix for use with a messenger
      Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Prying eyes are a cause of concern and data is power. With softwares/programmes getting advanced, individual are at a great risk of exposure and safeguarding features should be built in for use by all and not a privilege of the rich
      In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems?

To clarify this - it is 90% as the minimum requirement. 80% is a typo

Internet plan upgrade available upto 1GBPS as stated in the application

You have my support

1 Like

Thank you @TGV

What HW will you buy?

1 Like

Please tell us what hardware you plan to use?

Alexander and Rustem, there are few options I am considering right now:

option 1 (Performance tested) - Dell Alienware Area-51M R2 Gaming Laptop

Option 2 (standard config ready to order) Alienware M15 Gaming laptop

Option 2 (Custom build) - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X , Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro, Corsair 32 Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz, RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 8GB, Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB M.2 NVMe, Asus ROG Striz 550W Gold, Cooler master ML240L ARGB V2, Coolermaster MB511 ARGB, Antec Prizm 120mm ARGB PWM case fan

I am a Dell Fan

You have my vote , I am not sure about the laptop while energy saving and heat could be a problem.

1 Like

Thanks @Abbaskaya

Dell Alienwares are build to peform and last. However, same point has been advised by a friend who has recommended a desktop otherwise a custom build will offer more value for money. Branded Standard built configurations are usually more stable but there are not many high end available in desktops in good brands, otherwise my inclination is also towards a branded desktop to reduce any risk of downtime.

I also don’t want to go overboard unless it adds performance value to the node, as this will be a dedicated machine and won’t be used for anything else at all

1 Like

I support you

1 Like

Thanks @Alexander

Thanks, it’s pretty interesting to see how the laptop behaves as a validator node. However, I tend to lean more towards the reliability of the desktop PC (although it will be more expensive, given the current prices for graphics cards). Especially when it comes to the main network, where the loads are expected to be large.

Rustem, I had a brand new Dell business series laptop and a custom built AMD desktop made for designing work (7 years old compared to the laptop) both of which were used for almost 6-8 months for testing a CPU based browser mining for an AI project. The laptop started behaving erratically after 5 months and after a few days I noted that the battery swollen so much that it was pushing the touchpad out of its place. The battery was replaced under warranty but the technician did tell me that for such heavy usage I should get either Precision or Alienware portable if I am not inclined to use a desktop. The cost of the recommended machines were more than double the cost of a higher spec’d custom built desktop. Heat is a major issue for portable unless I get myself an industrial or gaming portable as @Abbaskaya also mentioned above. The only reason for me to buy a laptop for node would be space saving. I will take a call once I am buying or building the node while ensuring that installation space is well ventilated and cooled considering that the summers are very hot in Delhi

3 Likes

Thank you, you have clarified everything clearly, I support you

1 Like

Thanks Rustem, your support is appreciated.

Good responses. You have my support.

1 Like

Thanks @Bulldog

You have my support!

1 Like

Looks good to me, support this one.

1 Like

Thank you Danika @Danikam13 and Vyacheslav @wenzelvk
      Your support is appreciated.