Orange VIII Node Application 12446604585

Respondent ID 12446604585
End Date 02/26/2021 2:16:44 PM
language en
If you have previously applied to be a node please provide us with your application ID. Second-time applicants will be highly considered. You can email us at [email protected] if you don't know your application ID.
City/Town Cardiff
State/Province
Country UK
What languages do you speak? (Please separate with commas so we can parse them) English
What is your occupation? Non-technical Role or Other (please specify)
Non-technical Role or Other (please specify) Photographer
How many years experience in your field? 1-3
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Associates degree (for example: AA, AS)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Newport
Node State/Province
Node Country Wales
For which networks have you ever operated a node?
  • Other (please specify): None
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? N/a
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? Experience
What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 100
What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 100
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 95
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. £50 per month
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 50
In what type of environment would this server be located? Datacenter
If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it. Nodes will not be allowed to run on Hetzner. If you do, you will not receive compensation. Penguin internet ltd
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? If I get approved I will be buying the full spec but i need to choose gpu on availability.
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: No
Why do you want to be a node? I want to get into a crypto at a more fundamental level than just investing.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Word of Mouth
Which current xx network communities are you a member of?
    Are you an active member of those communities? No
    What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? I trust david chaun and believe it can be the best performing network available.
    Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? No
    Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? None
    Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
      As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. 2 blogs a month
      Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? No
      Why do you want to run a node in the xx network
      • To earn xx coins
      • To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world
      • To contribute to a promising project
      What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Decentralised networks are not owned by a controlling body, where as centralised networks are. There are good and bad to everything so I would say I am in the middle of the decentralisation spectrum
      As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Privacy speed and ability to withstand attack.
      Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? I don’t feel like i can do anything on the internet without being scammed tracked and stalked in some way. I feel like privacy has slowly been taken away and is now a privilege.
      In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? I believe once quantum computers becomes a reality abd anything with a passwords will be worthless.

It’s a no I am sorry but I am not a fan of data centers

Do you plan to co-locate?

Tough market right now. You’ll want to use one of the cards that are supported and recommended for compatibility and capability, but not necessarily by price. You will have to decide what you are willing to spend.

RTX 2070, RTX 2080, RTX 2080ti, RTX 2070 Super, RTX 2080 Super, RTX 3060ti, RTX 3070, RTX 3080, RTX 3090

I personally recommend either the RTX 2070 or the RTX 3060ti. I’ve had no problems with either of those in the NodeLab. I do not recommend any Turing GPU with specs less then a 2070 and I do not recommend the RTX 3060 12GB.

1 Like

What about RTX 3070 ?

Application looks good, if you can reach computer specs you have my vote

RTX 2070, RTX 2080, RTX 2080ti, RTX 2070 Super, RTX 2080 Super, RTX 3060ti, RTX 3070, RTX 3080, RTX 3090

1 Like

I have RTX 3070 on Ubuntu 20.04…working just fine…

1 Like

If selected, there is a great community on Discord to help you with getting your node working.
      You got my support.

Hi Everyone! Thanks a lot for all your input and your support. I don’t know if I need to answer each question individually or if I can just do a group reply? Starting with the questions about Datacentres, yes I am going to colocate my node in a large data centre which is only about 5 miles away from where I live. I will not be using a cloud machine, I am going to build my own server as soon as the right parts are available and my application is successful. Thanks a lot for all your help with the graphics cards. I don’t know if its the same everywhere else but no one seems to have these cards! As a last resort I am going to buy a second hand card and get it installed when I get the server built. Will keep you posted!

Hi again! I have RTX 3060 and RTX 3070 both available to purchase (unused) on ebay. Just to let you know. Ready to purchase and get building if I get approval from you all. Fingers crossed!

Hi. Just to say that colocation in a datacentre is the only reliable way to get the bandwidth in the UK outside of London and a couple of other cities in the north. I am building a rack pc to the full specification if I get approved, with RTX 3060 or 3070 as per my previous post. Hoping to get your support. Thanks a lot. Shelly

If you could locate your own machine in a data center then there will be no problems, regarding the video card a rtx 3060 isn’t good enough you need atleast a rtx 3060ti or a rtx 2070 so a rtx 2060 and 3060 will not do. So in your case you should choose the 3070 while 3060 isn’t a option

Nice to see other non-technical people. If able to meet the specs and building your own machine should have my vote. Would be nice to see faster internet speeds with a datacentre but meets minimum recs.