Orange VII Node Application 12345628209

Respondent ID 12345628209
End Date 01/22/2021 6:36:29 AM
language en
If you have previously applied to be a node please provide us with your application ID. Second-time applicants will be highly considered. You can email us at [email protected] if you don't know your application ID.
City/Town Tbilisi
State/Province Tbilisi
Country Georgia
What languages do you speak? (Please separate with commas so we can parse them) German, English
What is your occupation? Software Development
Non-technical Role or Other (please specify)
How many years experience in your field? 8-15
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Tbilisi
Node State/Province Tbilisi
Node Country Georgia
For which networks have you ever operated a node?
  • Other (please specify): Avalanche, Solana, The Graph, Mina
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? I would like to host a node at home instead of datacenters. I live in a remote area for most networks and think it's needed to have endpoints in remote regions as well to provide users with fast connectivity.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? Internet connection speed to international backbones are sub par compared to other regions. Fiber to the home maxes out at 100 MBit/s and 100 MBit/s in a datacenter costs $1500 per month. I got a quote from the datacenter that belongs to my coworking space which indicates that it will be possible to buy 1 GBit/s for about $15000 per month.
What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 100 MBit/s
What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 100 MBit/s
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 99
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. $30
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 10
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Magticom or Silknet
If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it. Nodes will not be allowed to run on Hetzner. If you do, you will not receive compensation. optional hosting at Cloud9 Tbilisi
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? No
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Why do you want to be a node? I like to run nodes. I moved to Georgia to bootstrap a validator business. I like to stay at the bleeding edge of technology and invest my time wisely. I feel that xxnetwork is pretty much in stealth mode and community driven compared to other projects. If only for the fact that applications are peer reviewed. I like to own some hardware too. So far I was renting machines in data centers but this doesn't really help decentralisation as you either end up burning free cloud credits or chose between Hetzner and Ikoula for cost efficiency. I hope xx will be more successful in distributing nodes globally and add my part to this.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Word of Mouth
Which current xx network communities are you a member of?
  • Discord
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? decentralisation
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? Mostly Graph protocol and Mina. While I was participating in other testnets those where the ones where I made most friends.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? I attended countless blockchain conferences. I take Futurama Blockchain Summit 2019 as example were I was able to talk to Brock Pierce. I attended conferences In Chiang Mai (the start), Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, Ho-Chi Minh City and Berlin from 2018-2019.
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
    As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. I can write articles about technical topics regarding xx network. I like to be technical writer. The frequency depends on if I find a interesting feature or perspective. I'm writing technical reviews for Crypto Calibur.
    Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? No
    Why do you want to run a node in the xx network
    • To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations
    • To earn xx coins
    • To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies
    • Other (please specify): To support a project that puts nodes into peoples homes.
    What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? In distributed networks computation is shared but decisions are ultimately made in a centralized fashion by a leader who commits a block. In decentralized networks the decision about the current valid state of the ledger is performed locally by each node and conflicts between the local views of different nodes are resolved over time and emerge to a stable global view eventually. I make my decisions based on a mixture of information that I take as a fact and extend on this with my own thoughts until I accept another fact. I assume that this is decentralized decision making as I eventually converge to what the larger public thinks.
    As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. The core value proposition is privacy enhanced communication via hiding metadata and linear scalability with a growing user base. The key selling point for me is David Chaum as leading cryptographer and early digital cash advocate. I also suspect standard cryptography to feature backdoors and quantum computers to break cryptography to either be existing or very close to be deployed by security services. xx network doesn't use standard cryptography and is quantum computer resistant.
    Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? because if privacy is not the default everyone who uses privacy enhancing tools is automatically a target for spying government agencies.
    In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? they can break private keys and can be used to confiscate funds or vote on blocks on behalf of legitimate block producers. but more importantly they can decrypt past transactions (containing user data) of which a copy is securely stored in the public ledger.

Good application, you have my vote.

2 :+1:up

I’m here to answer any questions.

I currently plan to aquire

Ryzen 3900XT
    MSI GTX 1070 TI 8GB

I can get those out of stock at my local hardware shop. For everything above I have to wait at least 3 weeks. Can someone confirm that GTX 1070 TI is sufficiently strong to meet the requirements?

Thanks in advance!

You will not meet the specs with that GPU! Did you not read the min. HW requirements?

I went to the hardware shop and asked for the biggest GPU they have in stock. That’s why I’m asking. I can probably get a RTX3070 with 3 weeks delay.

2070 minimum. Otherwise has my vote with new GPU.

your interest and knowledge is high. the necessary hardware is on time. make an effort and stay with us. :slight_smile: :+1:

Will order the 3070 as soon as I get the good to go!

2 Likes