Orange Node Application 11839393701, submitted on 07-28-2020

Respondent ID 11839393701
Application Date 07/28/2020 4:46:03 PM
Application Language English
Applicant City Cardiff
Applicant State/Province
Applicant Country UK
What languages do you speak? English
What is your occupation? Trader and programmer of trading software and algorithms
How many years experience in your field? 4-7
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? Yes
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Cardiff
Node Province Wales
Node Country UK
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? I haven’t yet
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? I have node idea
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? Limited programming knowledge.
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 90
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. 15 cents / kw
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 100
What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 220
What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 136
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Specs I have high end 3D modelling and graphics workstations with 64g ram and high end graphics.
Why do you want to be a node? I want to be involved in the next generation of crypto and to have an exposure and learning experience in crypto beyond being a trader / investor. I want to create an opportunity for myself by developing a skill and knowledge base in the next generation of finance.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Newsletter
Which current xx network communities are you a member of? Twitter
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? I believe it is a truly cutting edge protocol and that the Quantum resistant aspect puts it ahead of anything currently out there. I have faith David Chaum and believe in his principles.
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? No
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? No
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience: Community Management Other: I am a professional 3D artist of 20 years
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. Several documents / videos
Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? Yes
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network? To promote quantum secure distributed systems, To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world, To contribute to a promising project, To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? A distributed network is governed if not owned by a defined and central body of people or organisation. A decentralised network is sustained by a community without a central body of control. I don’t sit anywhere in this spectrum at this stage as I do not yet contribute to any networks.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Firstly and most importantly for me is its quantum resistance. The privacy aspect of the proposition I cannot distinguish given what I know, between what xx has to offer and what a number of the other leading privacy coins have to offer...I do believe based on the experience and knowledge driving xx coin that the privacy, anonymity and security aspects of the network will be superior to the current generation.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Our society and our individual ability to earn a living, to vote and to express ourselves is dwindling more and more every day, not just due to pervasive government control but also and equally importantly, corporate and particularly highly centralised corporate control and surveillance of every aspect of our lives. The more we try ok the internet and the more it allows us to become slaves to centralised power, the less we are able to be free individuals and frighteningly, the less we will even be able to recognise what freedom, autonomy and individuality actually are.
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? I believe they will be able to entirely compromise and undermine all existing cryptography based platforms rending then entirely worthless.
3 Likes

Is your GPU Turing, RTX2070 or higher?

1 Like

If your hardware specs can meet the minimum recommended spec then you’d have my support.
Revised BetaNet Node Hardware Requirements

Looks good if the GPU meets the specs.

I trust those who bought XX coins!

1 Like

Hello xx network! I’m extremely excited to have had initial acceptance to run a node.
Thanks so much :pray:
As I have not run a node before I am looking for guidance on how to start. I’m keen to do whatever learning / development necessary to get up and running and to provide a triable node for the xx network :muscle:

As soon as you are finally approved, you will receive guidance.

Hi folks, my spec is slightly below that specified in Revised Betanode Hardware Requirements…

GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Intel Core i7 4930k 3.4ghz 12mb cache
Micron M550 256gb mSATA 3
32GB DDR4

If this is close and I just need the card upgrade I can easily do that.

Alternatively, upon full/ final approval I’ll be happy to purchase the full spec…I’d probably go for the attached and have next business day support.

1 Like

Hi Art, could you please clarify the significance of 1st September…in the congratulation email it says ‘register quickly to join the network on 1st September’
Is 1st September the deadline to build nodes and have them online??

Thanks a lot

Hi Steve, does running a node in a home environment put my home network and other personal devices at a security risk?

Do I need a separate line for the node from a security perspective?
Just for bandwidth I’m thinking of getting an independent line for the node anyway…

Can the gateway and node run on the same network from the same WiFi box?
Is it enough for them just to have different IPs but remain on the same home network / internet connection??

Thanks a lot
John

Hi John,

I’ll prefix this with a ‘I’m not a security or Linux Expert’ and ‘I don’t know your setup or security arrangements’ but I would say:

a) I don’t think it does too much to expose your home network to any more threat than it is probably already under.

b) I presume you have a firewall, etc in place already (this can usually be a feature of the ADSL router that you use)?

c) Obviously opening any ports on your network has an impact on security, which is why security advisors always tell you to close everything but those ports that you actually need.

d) As someone commented on here (or it could have been the Discord channel) the biggest threat to your Linux system is opening SSH to the outside world, but you don’t need to do that to run the node.

I am very happy if someone wants to jump in with some specific advice?

Thanks a lot for your reply Steve. I think I should definitely check what’s actually happening in my router! :thinking:
I think it sounds safest to have a dedicated xx internet connection…not sure how quickly that can be in place though…

On that note, are you able to shed any light on the 1st September that I’ve seen mentioned.

Is 1st September the deadline to register or is it a deadline to be built and running the node on the network??

Thanks a lot
John

I am pretty sure it is a deadline to register.

I have read somewhere ( I will need to dig to find the link) that the node needs to be installed, configured and running before the end of September ( a 1 month grace period) in order to receive the xx coins for September (paid about a week into October - if you chose the monthly option).

@Benger might be able to confirm this?

I hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve :pray:

1 Like

No problem at all.

Are you on Discord at all? The node section for the XXNetwork on there is very active and there’s always people to help if you have trouble setting up or running your node. :+1: