Orange IX Node Application 12502895095

Respondent ID 12502895095
End Date 03/18/2021 2:15:25 PM
language en
If you have previously applied to be a node please provide us with your application ID. Second-time applicants will be highly considered. You can email us at [email protected] if you don't know your application ID.
City/Town Wheeling
State/Province Illinois
Country USA
What languages do you speak? (Please separate with commas so we can parse them) English, French, Arabic
What is your occupation?
Non-technical Role or Other (please specify)
How many years experience in your field? 4-7
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Bachelor’s degree (for example: BA. BS)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Park Ridge
Node State/Province COOK
Node Country USA
For which networks have you ever operated a node?
  • Other (please specify): never operated a node before
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? First time to node operation, but do have the technical ability and processing power to run a node successfully.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? Currently I do not foresee any setbacks.
What is the maximum upload bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 191.6
What is the maximum download bandwidth in megabits per second your node can provide? 249.5
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 100
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. 10.44¢/kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 100
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). AT&T (FIBER INTERNET)
If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it. Nodes will not be allowed to run on Hetzner. If you do, you will not receive compensation. NA
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10700K Processor with vPro™ (3.80 GHz, up to 5.10 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 16 MB Cache) , Operating System Windows 10 Home 64 , 16 GB DDR4 2933MHz (2 x 8 GB) , 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD + 512 GB PCIe SSD , NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2070 Super 8GB , Cooling System 150W Air Cooling
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Why do you want to be a node? I am a big fan our CEO David Chaum first and foremost. I have followed the project since 2017 and finally I have the means to be able to truly make an impact by running a node. I am very eager to support the project and the community.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? I cam across the project when I first started doing my research on Cryptography and found out the father is our president David Chaum. Since then I followed and became part of the community.
Which current xx network communities are you a member of?
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • Discord
  • LinkedIn
Are you an active member of those communities? Yes
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? The general goal of the project interests me the most. specifically Quamtum security, Elexxir private messaging.
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? No
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? NO
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience:
    As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. 3 contents
    Would you be interested in helping to lead the development of the next xx network community? Yes
    Why do you want to run a node in the xx network
    • To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations
    • To promote quantum secure distributed systems
    • To earn xx coins
    • To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world
    • To contribute to a promising project
    What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Distributed networks are in a way, a conglomeration of small centralized networks. It consists of multiple Nodes which themselves are miniature versions of centralized networks. Decentralized networks consist of individual nodes and every one of these Nodes are capable of independent decision making. Hence there is no central control in Decentralized networks. Hence we can clearly state that decentralized systems are a subset of distributed systems, more independent and minus any central controlling authority. Source: Meshworld #XOXOCHAUM
    As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. The privacy-protecting communication layer provided by the xx network is unmatched in comparison to other blockchain solutions. The value is driven with both anonymity and integrity and to achieve this Cmix system system brings together two key concepts: mixnets and precomputation. Mixnets or mixing networks gives cryptographic rules for messages and transitions to be relayed by trusted intermediaries known as mix-nodes. Precomputation helps speed up public key cryptography to allow users to send and receive messages in real time without compromising security or privacy. In simpler words this means a message or a transaction is put in a blende, chopped up to change its original form to hide it's content then put back together ahead of time and delivered to the receiver. This whole concept is far beyond what is available in the market today and can truly help achieve the best security and protection. Source: Elixxir-architecture-brief #CHAUMSTRONG
    Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Privacy has been the driving factor to many big global conversations. Protecting the freedom/privacy of the internet and it's true integrity will certainly help drive a free unhinged global community. Elixxir provides integrity and anonymity for users sending messages and transactions through the platform.
    In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? Quantum computers does pose a threat to the decentralized system. Multiple possible threats to blockchain exist including Shor’s Algorithm, Grover’s Algorithm, and the design of blockchain itself. These threats all prove that with the right advancements in quantum computing power, blockchain security is at risk.
    3 Likes

Hardware specs please.

Would you be changing the OS (nodes run on Ubuntu Server) and upgrading the HW to the recommended spec ?

You should reach the desired specifications for the hardware.

Thank you for your comment Steve,

Yes and Yes I will be changing my OS to Ubuntu 18.04 to operate the node. I upgrade my i7 to AMD Ryzon 7 5800x (purchased already). I also acquired a 1TB SSD to meet the Specs… I am still looking to upgrade my GPU to 3000 series RTX soon.

I look forward to becoming one of the US base node operators and hope to get you support.

Thank you for your comment,

As I mentioned to in the earlier response to Steve, Yes and Yes I will be changing my OS to Ubuntu 18.04 to operate the node. As well as, upgrade my i7 to AMD Ryzon 7 5800x (purchased already). I also acquired a 1TB SSD to meet the Specs… I am still looking to upgrade my GPU to 3000 series RTX soon.

I look forward to becoming one of the US base node operators and hope to get you support.

All,

I will be changing my OS to Ubuntu 18.04 to operate the node. As well as, upgrade my i7 to AMD Ryzon 7 5800x (purchased already). I also acquired a 1TB SSD to meet the Specs… I am still looking to upgrade my GPU to 3000 series RTX soon.

INTERNET SPEED can be upgraded to 300Mbps equal upload and download if need to.

I look forward to becoming one of the US base node operators and hope to get your support.

Thank you for your support XX family.

Kind Regards,
    Youssef

Welcome. Your RTX 2070 super should do fine. No need to upgrade there :wink: Stick to the hardware specs and you will have my vote.

Thank you Rene for your comment,

I do agree the RTX 2070 will work just fine. Newer GPUs are always better… I am in constant look out for better GPU.

But to get your vote, I will stick with the 2070 for now :sweat_smile:.

Kind Regards,
    Youssef

You can get a newer/better GPU that’s up to you. I just wanted you to know that a 2070 is fine for running a node :slight_smile: But if you can get your hands on a 3060ti, 3070 or 3080, be my guest to buy it!

1 Like

I support you

1 Like

Hard to come across those nowadays. I have couple friends with few 3600 series , I’m hoping to aquire one from them.

Thank you for the support Alex.

You have my vote.

1 Like

Voted in, good application and the conversation above

1 Like

It’s a yes for me

1 Like

Definitely need my US nodes and like the application. Solid yes from me.

1 Like

Has my vote

1 Like

Thank you mate, yes more strenght to US base nodes. I am highly motivated to contribute to the xx community. I have followed the project since 2017 and the more I learn the more I want to be part of it.

Thank you Oxtail, Cool name :sweat_smile: