Orange III Node Application 12022651112, submitted on 09-26-2020

Respondent ID 12022651112
Application Date 09/26/2020 6:49:15 AM
Applicant City Cardiff
Applicant State/Province Wales
Applicant Country UK
What is your occupation? I run a care business
How many years experience in your field? 4-7
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Bachelor’s degree (for example: BA. BS)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? Yes
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Cardiff
Node Province Wales
Node Country UK
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? I have not run a node before as I found the cost of running at UK electricity prices, far too risky.
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? Less power consumption
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? I am not a programmer...but I am keen to learn whatever I need I order to run the node effectively for you.
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 95
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. £0.14 per kwh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 80
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? Yes (Please list specs)
Specs Ryzen 3900, RTX 2070, 32Gb ram, 1TB M.2 nvme hard drive
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: No
Why do you want to be a node? I think there a a very small minority of women working in the crypto space and I am keen to join and enhance this group. I have been a keen investor and follower of cryptos for some years now and want to be involved beyond just trading or holding, and to use the experience to gather a more in-depth and working knowledge of how a modern and next generation network actually works.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Word of Mouth
Which current xx network communities are you a member of? Facebook
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? I was struck by the history of the founder David Chaum and I fully back the quantum and privacy aspects that he believes in and is pursuing with the xxNetwork. I believe this is a truly next generation crypto project.
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? Sorry. Not so far
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? Sorry. Not so far
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience: Community Management Other: Sorry. I’m afraid not
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. I can write reviews and share the experience of learning and running a node and shorting the network from a beginners perspective
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network? To protect the privacy of political speech, To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations, To promote quantum secure distributed systems, To earn xx coins, To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world, To contribute to a promising project, To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies, To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy, To reverse the political centralization of legal, police, and military organizations which favor the wealthy and powerful
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? A centralised network would have a large percentage of its decision and / or confirmation power in one place...I think even BTC is at risk of centralisation due to huge mining farms and mining pools. A truly decentralised network would have its power evenly distributed throughout a network with no single node or group of nodes carrying more significance than any others.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. I think confidence in cryptos would dramatically vaporise under a real quantum threat...I think xxNetwork is a unique proposition in this space. I think corporate control of privacy has become a major issue and confidence in the likes of Facebook and large bodies with access to our data, what we say and what we search for, is at an al time low. We need a future proof secure form of payemnt and communication. I believe xxNetwork can provide this solution and I believe in David Chaum’s leadership to deliver it.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? As I mentioned in my previous answer...corporate control of our data, conversations and search interests is a major threat to our privacy and autonomy. We live in an entirely internet based world now...this world is either an oppressive dictatorship or it is a democracy...control of our privacy online determines which one of those we find ourselves living in
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? I understand that a quantum Computer in the wrong hands could undermine all cryptographic networks and 50% attack all existing cryptos quite easily
2 Likes

strong applicant, has my vote…

You have my support. Have fun !!

Like this applicant. Has my vote.

has my vote.

Hi, Thank you so much for your votes of support!!
Fingers crossed on the final decision. I really hope to be running a node with you all and supporting the xxNetwork soon! :star_struck:

I thought I should answer the question from the node team regarding internet connection.

I will be running the node from home (at least for the first month) where I have an average bandwidth of 256mbps.

High speed internet is extremely expensive in the UK and 1G connections are generally unavailable here.

We are however the first / nearest connection to our neighborhood phone exchange…I understand that this gives us effective traffic priority over the entire street, and with all the neighboring connections being domestic, there is almost no upload competition on our connection.

For this reason, I am confident that I will be able to run my node from home.

I will however consider the cost of a local Data Centre (£230/month) if network traffic increases to a level where my home connection is demonstrated to fall short.

Really hoping to make it through and be selected to run in November. Thanks again for your support :star_struck:

Congrats on making it through selection. Good to have you onboard! :+1: