Orange III Node Application 12006974099, submitted on 09-21-2020

Respondent ID 12006974099
Application Date 09/21/2020 4:11:53 PM
Applicant City Stuttgart
Applicant State/Province Baden-Wuerttemberg
Applicant Country Germany
What is your occupation? Full-Time Node Operator
How many years experience in your field? 4-7
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Nuernberg
Node Province Bayern
Node Country Germany
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? Ethereum (ETH, ETC, etc), Stafi, LTO, Fantom, Kusama, Credits, Fusion and many more testnets
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? Node stability, less network / connection issues (but then it's a betanet, so it's about testing) and finding the best setup
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? None really, maybe node requirements could be a hurdle but we have enough capacity and resources to be able to run nodes
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 95
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. also depends on the requirements and specifications
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 100
In what type of environment would this server be located? Other (please specify), Dedicated Server
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? Yes (Please list specs)
Specs AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Cores "Matisse" (Zen2) 128 GB DDR4 ECC RAM 2 x 1.92 TB NVMe SSD Datacenter Edition
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: no
Why do you want to be a node? My interest lies in supporting projects I get to know and am personally interested in. As with xx network and the concept of a mixnet being privacy focused in terms of messaging and transactions highly interests me. Of course there is a lot more, but this is something I really want to support
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Word of Mouth
Which current xx network communities are you a member of? Discord, BetaNet Forum
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? the concept of mix-nodes, secure and privacy focused messaging and transactions
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? Keepnetwork, Nearprotocol, Millenniumclub, Coda and others, too I also have a small team translating content, guides etc to German and run Telegram groups and or Twitter accounts for projects, where I post news and updates and help to build and reach the German speaking communities
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? I have attended a view virtual conferences
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience: Group messaging curation: telegram channel I'm currently building and running for coda in German, Forum management for Discord: discord server where I am part of the team
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. could be defined at a later point
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network? To promote quantum secure distributed systems, To earn xx coins, To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world, To contribute to a promising project, To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Within decentralized systems there is no single point where a decision is being made and it relies on the agreement of many whereas within distributed systems decisions can still be centralized using the knowledge of the entire system and solely processing is shared for example over a network of nodes. My position is clearly in favour of decentralized networks in regards to above mentioned explanation.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. for me the clearly stated value proposition of the xx network is to try to bring "security and privacy to consumers with unprecedented speed and scale" as stated in the https://xx.network/elixxir-architecture-brief-v1.0.pdf
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? as we are being more and more monitored and tracked Privacy by Default would in my opinion solve quite a few current issues where companies, governments and other parties collect and steal our data and use it for their own purposes
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? It is often discussed if quantum computers pose a threat towards blockchains in general and will be able to break their cryptographic codes. I personally think that might be true for some cases, but if quantum computing will be used for encrypting blockchains this would make them more secure. This discussions is highly interesting and I am no expert in that field. Centralized systems would in my opinion be under more threat by quantum computing than decentralized systems
1 Like

Hetzner hosting? GPU is missing from the application

Note that CPU-only nodes running in over-represented datacenters (such as Hetzner) are now being disabled and asked to make changes to continue operating, see here. Could you confirm that you’d run a node with the required GPU? I’d consider that a necessary requirement to be selected.

ever so happy that you reached out to me to get additional information.

I am aware of the discussions in the discord concerning node hosting on cheap datacenters (Hetzner) which somewhat goes against the principle of decentralization etc. and totally understand that participants wanting to use those will probably not be accepted into the program.

Therefore have you got list / overview of providers / datacenters which will still be accepted?

I would be of course willing to comply with your recommendations to be eligible to participate.

Same applies to gpu vs cpu usage.

Would be great to get a reply.

Very good response. You have my vote.

1 Like

Good application with good response as well. Has my vote.