Orange III Node Application 11993233504, submitted on 09-16-2020

Respondent ID 11993233504
Application Date 09/16/2020 10:55:40 AM
Applicant City Irvine
Applicant State/Province Alberta
Applicant Country Canada
What is your occupation? Node Operator, IT enthusiast with basic coding and bash experience
How many years experience in your field? 1-3
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? None (Self-Taught)
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale? No
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Irvine
Node Province Alberta
Node Country Canada
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? Obsidian and ODIN. Soon to be Tarian and then hopefully this also!
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? None that I can pin point as of yet. I can imagine these nodes and network will run as good or better than anything I have been a part of.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? Potentially hardware ability although I can certainly upgrade if running a mainnet node is financially feasible.
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 99
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. 13 cents per Kwh (CAD)
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 5
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? Yes (Please list specs)
Specs AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (OC'd) / EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 (OC'd) / 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung 970 EVO M2 250GB (Can add another 1TB when needed) / 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Why do you want to be a node? I am a part of a project that would greatly benefit from the xx network and especially its messenger. Myself and a few others are excited to be a part of this community to help it whatever ways we can.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Word of Mouth
Which current xx network communities are you a member of? Discord, BetaNet Forum
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? The messenger and the general privacy/security the network is proposing.
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? Tarian Crypto (In Development)
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? No not yet
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience: Instructional video content: How to setup wallets and nodes which I have been involved with., Group messaging curation: I help manage our Discord server for Tarian Crypto
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. I could do at least one vid a month I think for youtube or some posts on twitter bi weekly for updates on whats new with the xx community
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network? To protect the privacy of political speech, To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations, To promote quantum secure distributed systems, To earn xx coins, To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world, To contribute to a promising project, To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies, To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy, To reverse the political centralization of legal, police, and military organizations which favor the wealthy and powerful
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? To my understanding The decentralization of a network keeps it from being attacked as an "organization" and is more of a personal protection, whereas distribution a network helps to secure the network from a hardware and software point of attack because the network is being run by multiple Nodes in totally different locations.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. The main thing that I see that is different is the Meta Data management/shredding that is proposed.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Government and Corporations are constantly stealing our Personal data and even corporate data. We need privacy and security to operate on an even playing field for true freedom in our personal and business lives. Knowledge is very powerful.
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? Ability to crack our current chain algo's
3 Likes

Your hardware should be upgraded.Your gpu should be Turing based and not Pascal based. And I think also the cpu. For the rest looks good and nice to have more people with experience. Upgrade the hardware and you got my vote.

3 Likes

Hey Robbie thanks for the input. Yes, I decided I will be building a new computer to meet the beta net specs and that will be upgradable to meet or exceed the main net specs 100%.

Thank’s again! I’m really excited to be a part of the node family if I can get in! Have a good one!

You have my support then :+1:

2 Likes

If specs are met, I can see a strong application. You have my vote!

2 Likes

Absolutely will do! Thanks! :ok_hand:

Thanks Ambys, my brother and I both are rocking this thing and will make sure our systems are built to spec 100% All good :+1:
Seperate systems at separate locations but we will likely buy our computer parts wholesale and build them together! We are super pumped.

2 Likes

So in regards to a email request I received from xx betanet now team about what ISP I will be using at my home for the node. I currently have Shaw as my ISP and will be upgrading to the fibre Gig dwn/100 up plan upon setup of the node.

:+1::+1:

If an isp change is every necessary for some reason that can be arranged no worries.

Good application,

I like the fact that you can make video content.
I think it’s perfect and nessacery for adoption.

Small upgrade on the hardware cpu and gpu and you got my vote.

Thanks for your application
:+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:
Mvg mercedes

1 Like

You have my support!

2 Likes

Thanks mercedes! Ya I have made video instructions and adds for projects in the past and its quite fun. Looking forward to pumping the tires for xxNetwork :slight_smile:

Thanks lonewolf. much appreciated!

Good application and nice to see a fellow Canuck! Have my vote. Good luck with the process.

Has my vote.

1 Like