Orange III Node Application 11896000000, submitted on 08-12-2020

Respondent ID 11896000000
Application Date 08/12/2020 11:55:38 PM
Applicant City Tokyo
Applicant State/Province
Applicant Country Japan
How many years experience in your field?
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed?
Did you purchase xx coins in the xx coin sale?
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Tokyo
Node Province Tokyo
Node Country Japan
For which networks Have you ever operated a node?
What kind of improvements would you like to see in xx network nodes vs. previous nodes you have supported? My brother struggled early on to sync ETH nodes, not only the size but even with SSDs and write-speeds to sync. A lightweight system in which past useless (and traceable) history could be pruned would be welcome.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an xx network node? nothing major. 2Gbps connection in Tokyo (Actual closer to 600/900 Mbps). Only if the storage requirements gets out of hand a la ETH.
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? 90
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. from 20 /kWh to 31 /kWh. ($0.22 to $0.35)
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator?` 16
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published xx network BetaNet Node specifications (found here)? No
Specs
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: i7-3770k Quadcore GTX 1080 Samsung Evo 500GB I was planning to buy a new workstation, somewhat waiting for the September announcements. X570 Mobo for Nvme (970 EVO) and Ryzen 9 3900x, GeForce 2070 Super, 32GB or 64GB RAM
Why do you want to be a node? 1. I met David Chaum twice (San Francisco and Tokyo) while working at Bitcoin Dot Com. His ideals of privacy of decentralization that he has been consistently advocating for since the 80's resonate. I believe in the free market and this looks like a potential good project. 2. Also, missed the initial offering (hesitated, felt poor before the pump), good opportunity to be paid in XX. 3. I'm fascinated by the emerging potential for decentralized governance, and would like to be part of it. Ready to invest in the future.
How did you originally hear about the xx network? Met David Chaum
Which current xx network communities are you a member of? Twitter
What specifically, interests you about the xx network platform? Metadata shredding Hope for scalability (both Bitcoin and ETH are still struggling)
Outside of xx network communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? Still in touch with the BCH community given my past work at Bitcoin dot com. Some former colleagues have moved on to AVALabs, keeping them on my radar too.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? Several. Met David Chaum at an after party on a roof after San Francisco Blockchain Week (2018 ?). David was also a speaker at an event organized by Bitpoint in Tokyo (a trip during which he met with Roger at our office). Blockchain Cruise (oh dear), others.
Do you have past experience managing communities or creating content to be distributed across social media? Please enter details for all with which you are comfortable or have experience: Instructional video content: yes, Livestream/broadcast: no, Group messaging curation: yes, Forum management for Bitcointalk: no, Forum management for Reddit: no, Forum management for Discord: no, Other forum management: no, Meetup group management: yes, Community Management Other: I'm somewhat active and creating content for my hobby in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Videos, seminars, translations, synthesizing complex information... it's not entirely dissimilar.
As part of growing the xx network community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an xx network BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. I can definitely document my experience. Bi-weekly sounds right. Ad hoc.
Why do you want to run a node in the xx network? To protect the privacy of political speech, To protect private personal communication around health and lifestyle issues from mass surveillance and abuse by centralized organizations, To earn xx coins, To help build David Chaum's vision of a decentralized world, To contribute to a promising project, To undo the centralization of the internet by big tech companies, To help build true digital cash to fuel a decentralized economy, To reverse the political centralization of legal, police, and military organizations which favor the wealthy and powerful, Two friends that I highly respect are planning on running their nodes, it would be a way to reconnect more frequently with them.
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? True decentralization would mean no single point of decision or attack. Networks such as Ripple or EOS, or blockstream liquid or Libra are Proof of Authority; a couple dozen actors at most. These are entirely too centralized. Even the Bitcoin mining pools feel too centralized with 19 or so. ASICs resistance, sybil control mechanisms, consensus protocols, it feels like all the pieces are there but noone has truly cracked the code yet. Once the technology is truly proven, the most important piece will be the community, network effects. The ideal would be something truly transcending national barriers, and accessible to even folks in poorer regions.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the xx network platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Many me-too blockchain solutions claim the same attributes of speed, scale and BFT. There's appeal to authority here but having an OG cypherpunk at the helm is a distinguishing factor, and the by-design shredding of meta-data is definitely a differentiator.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the xx network Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Freedom of Speech is under attack, and not only in Hong Kong by the CCP. Western governments that should know better and have it in their mandate to uphold freedom of speech, privacy and the presumption of innocence have been all too keen to abuse new technology "in the name of" some always vague greater good. I am a Freedom of Speech maximalist, "bad speech" should be exposed and deconstructed, not censored. Privacy is absolutely necessary, otherwise people start to increasingly self-censored when there's a threat of repercussion for speech.
In your opinion, what threat, if any, do quantum computers pose toward decentralized systems? What about centralized systems? If quantum computers get to the point where they threaten the security of decentralized systems, say by breaking ECC, then the entire existing financial infrastructure is also pretty much screwed. I believe we won't get there in the next few years, and there are already quantum-resistant cryptography primitives afaik. It's just a matter of resources and implementation.
4 Likes

Someone with an added value as he is significantly involved in the crypto sphere. His bandwidth of 2Gbps in Tokyo are exceeding the requirements. He displays a good understanding and his willingness to spend time for the network can be very beneficial to rally more people.

2 Likes

You have my support.
Have fun !

1 Like

Thanks for those who replied, this is my application.

For what it’s worth, my highest level of education is graduate school… although I’m afraid to admit it was just an MBA and nothing STEM related.

I have the support from folks who already run elixxir nodes, and as soon as I’m accepted I’ll go buy a dedicated machine with their exact specs, so I don’t run into any drivers or compatibility problems with the newest hardware. I won’t be playing Cyberpunk 2077 on this machine + gateway, it will be entirely dedicated to the network.

cheers!

gerald
(jelaludo is the pronunciation of my name in Japanese)

Hi , Can you upgrade your HW ? Your GPU and CPU does not meet the minimum requirement… if you do that you have my support.

With your new machine your specs would be great and always good to have more nodes in your area. You have a Yes from me

1 Like

for sure!

I’m actually planning on buying a new separate dedicated machine, just waiting to be selected to pull the trigger. Based on the specs of a friend who already runs a node.
Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 2070
32GB DDR4
NVMe 1 TB

I see it as an investment; ROI in coins, learning, participating in the future of decentralization.

1 Like

I like the candidate I support

1 Like

thanks a lot with that you have my vote :slight_smile:

1. Server will be located in my private home (home owner, long term)
  2. Service provider is : NURO HIKARI* (NURO光) by Sony Corporation

— received by email :

Before we publish an initial decision, we are reaching out to ask you to please add the following information in the comments section of your published forum post:

1. If your server is located in your personal home, please specify the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

2. If your server is located in a Datacenter, please specify the name of the company hosting it.

Thanks Everyone!

I received a confirmation email for being initially selected as a xx network BetaNet Orange Group III node

I’ll make a trip to Akihabara to buy a proper rig.

cheers

1 Like

A very good application. Has my application.

Great application. Has my vote.

I did go to Akihabara, identified a vendor, and procured myself a new machine :

ASRock B450M Pro4
Ryzen 5 3600
Crucial DDR4-3200 32GB (16GB x 2)
RTX 2070 Super 8GB
Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2

– ready for the next steps : which I understand as being :

• KYC
  • install Linux
  • install the node

888 MBPs upload test ^^
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 13.39.57

Good! My voice for you.

My node is up and running!

Thanks everyone for the help.

now onwards to making the targets for uptime and success rate.

cheers,

gerald

1 Like