Application Date 2019-04-17 3:04:11
Application Language English
Applicant City Paris
Applicant State/Province Ile-de-France
Applicant Country France
What languages do you speak? French,English,Spanish
What is your occupation? CEO
How many years experience in your field? 1-3
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Please describe your experience in the Crypto/Blockchain space, if any? I have created a crypto community in early 2018, [with] more than 10k members on Telegram, Discord, Facebook and Twitter. We've raised more than $1M for ICOs since we started more than a year ago. We work with top tier projects only.
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Paris
Node State Ile-de-France
Node Country France
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? Ethereum (ETH, ETC, etc), None. Have mined ETH though on a small scale, just tried running the software on my personal laptop by curiosity.
What kind of improvements would you like to see in Elixxir nodes vs. previous the previous nodes you have supported? Ease of setting it up would be good but I have a technical background as well. Shouldn't be an issue but it always helps when things are smooth.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an Elixxir node? Cost of staking (for main net)/hardware|cloud too high.
What is a reasonable maximum connection speed on which you could operate a BetaNet node in your geographic region? (Where 0 = 10 Megabits/second, and 100 = 10 Gigabits/second) 21
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? (As a percentage) 95
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. . 14c/kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator? (Where 0 = 1 hour/month, and 100 = 20 hours/month) 25
If you were selected to run a BetaNet node, would it run on your own hardware or be deployed to cloud-based servers? Cloud-Based Servers
In what type of environment would this server be located?
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter?
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published Elixxir BetaNet node specifications?
Yes (Please list specs)
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Do you have past experience deploying servers to cloud-based services? Yes (please specify)
Yes (please specify) AWS
Why do you want to be a node? To learn more about running a node in general and Elixxir in particular. To be a part of the community and be more involved. To help with running things and participate in governance aspects. I'm inspired by the vision Elixxir has and want to be a part of it.
How did you originally hear about Elixxir? Word of Mouth
Which current Elixxir communities are you a member of? Telegram
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the Elixxir platform? I love the idea of a fully private messaging app (including metadata!) and payment system. In our world it's more and more needed when you see the giants of Facebook, Google, Amazon and co. Of course, it can be used by bad actors, like every technology but I believe it will serve way more a majority of well-intentioned people who just want privacy. Not everything has to be public.
Outside of Elixxir communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? No, but I'm very active in the crypto space in general. In touch with our community of investors and also many ICOs and other well connected individuals.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? Multiple ones in Paris. Recently in early 2019, the BEF in Davos hosted by Latoken. I also regularly attend meetups about crypto/blockchain in Paris, where I live.
As part of growing the Elixxir community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an Elixxir BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. Yes (how much content on a monthly basis?)
If yes, how much content on a monthly basis? Bi-weekly Twitter update is fine. Documenting the process of setting up the node and then posting updates on the daily management too. Would be 1 or 2 posts on Medium possibly. We'd share this information through all our network of course.
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? In decentralized networks, every node makes its own decision without knowing about others and the result is the aggregate response. In distributed networks, the processing is shared across multiple nodes, but the decisions may still be centralized and use complete system knowledge. I believe sometimes centralization isn't bad. Centralized systems are high performance. There's only a need to decentralize things when it's prone to be censored and taken over by special interests. One could argue that everything valuable that becomes big enough could automatically lay in this category though.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the Elixxir platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Speed and privacy, including metadata for exchanging messages and payments. A competitor would be Loki for example. Allowing dapps to run off-chain with the benefits of being on-chain without slowing it.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the Elixxir Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? People can be much more creative and free if they know what they're saying will be private. It's needed to feel safe and share early or weird ideas that can later become something great. It will help spur innovation and will benefit the world as a whole. On a personal side, we also feel good knowing what we share with our friends is private even if the stakes are low. It just feels bad knowing we're being spied on all the time.
Tags Individual, France, English
2 Likes

Hi everyone,

This is my application. :slight_smile:

I’ll admit I have less experience than many others with setting up nodes (some are real rock stars in mining and staking!) but I have a decent tech background and have a few friends who are technical and could lend a hand if need be, so I have no doubt I’ll be able to figure things out.

I met David Chaum in person (and some of the Elixxir team) and have wanted to be a part of Elixxir ever since. What Chaum said just made sense and wasn’t sensational yet had a sense of urgency and importance.

I’d love to share the progress of Elixxir, the implications of the tech and the stakes for our world with my community (GAINS Associates) of 10k+ people on Telegram, Discord and Twitter.

Cheers,
Alex - @Firunner on Telegram

1 Like

Thanks for help Elixxir…u have my vote

1 Like

Super! I vote for you.

1 Like

Great answers Alex!
I just wanted to say that Alex has been a great leader and crypto insider for our group. Following his meeting with David he spoke very highly of the Elixxir vision…and we concur. Moreover, with the support from our community, I believe Alex would be positioned to be an effective node operater. He will have our aid if need be, and the word about the Elixxir project will be spread to the best of our abilities.

Right to Privacy,
Jaytek
GAINS

1 Like