Application Date 2019-04-09 23:11:10
Application Language English
Applicant City Alpharetta
Applicant State/Province Georgia
Applicant Country United States
What languages do you speak? English, Mandarin, Tagalog
What is your occupation? Sales
How many years experience in your field? 8-15
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Please describe your experience in the Crypto/Blockchain space, if any? Involved in crypto since 2015. Work for two projects under pseudonym.
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Alpharetta
Node State Georgia
Node Country United States
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? PIVX and Wagerr, DASH
What kind of improvements would you like to see in Elixxir nodes vs. previous the previous nodes you have supported? Automatic script setup where feasible (common in the aftermarket). GUI support. Builtin tool tips/FAQ.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an Elixxir node? I don't see any except my Comcast upload is 35Mbps, download 1000Mbps. Familiar with node/masternode/DPoS setup. Have unlimited data, redundant power and internet providers, and can dedicate a high-end computer with 9900k CPU, 32GB RAM, and several terabytes of free space.
What is a reasonable maximum connection speed on which you could operate a BetaNet node in your geographic region? (Where 0 = 10 Megabits/second, and 100 = 10 Gigabits/second) 60
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? (As a percentage) 100
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. . $0.10 per kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator? (Where 0 = 1 hour/month, and 100 = 20 hours/month) 100
If you were selected to run a BetaNet node, would it run on your own hardware or be deployed to cloud-based servers? Hardware
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? Yes (please describe)
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published Elixxir BetaNet node specifications? Yes (Please list specs)
Yes (Please list specs) I can dedicate a computer for this. Intel 9900k CPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB 970 Pro, RAID 1 with two 6GB Toshiba enterprise HDDs, Nvidia 2080 Ti GPU, ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate motherboard, Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w PSU, and CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System for backup power. Stable computer and very high uptime.
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Do you have past experience deploying servers to cloud-based services? Yes (please specify)
Yes (please specify) Have setup VPS-based crypto nodes. Prefer physical hardware for security.
Why do you want to be a node? I have always been into privacy coins and I am willing to help the Elixxir project.
How did you originally hear about Elixxir? Word of Mouth
Which current Elixxir communities are you a member of? Telegram, Reddit, Twitter
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the Elixxir platform? Good money should protect users' privacy.
Outside of Elixxir communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? Yes, but prefer to remain anonymous.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)?
As part of growing the Elixxir community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an Elixxir BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. Yes (how much content on a monthly basis?)
If yes, how much content on a monthly basis? I can make crypto guides and keep track of desired data. Will provide data in desired format and mediums.
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Decentralized network is a subset of distributed network. A decentralized network seeks to ascertain truth and make decisions through consensus of multiple independent entities following blockchain network rules. Many blockchain projects use open-source software that can be openly audited. The main goal of a decentralized network is redundancy, durability, and trustlessness (not needing to trust in a centralized authority to fulfill the purpose of the network). A distributed network may be decentralized or centralized, in different ways, to different degrees, and sometimes a juxtaposition of the two. About where I stand on the decentralization spectrum, for existing projects, I think a reasonable balance needs to be struck between decentralization, performance, and network and hardware requirements. But projects with long-lasting futures will need to address long-term scalability. Open-source blockchain development is still tackling the issue of scalability, but I believe we will eventually reach a point where many projects can have ideal decentralization and performance with modest network and hardware requirements.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the Elixxir platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. David Chaum is OG. Elixxir focuses on privacy, claims to scale linearly based on user base, and claims to scale for global mass adoption. There's other projects that aim for true scalability, such as Cardano. If Elixxir delivers on its promises, it could be a very good currency. But there is a lot of competition for scalable privacy coins.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the Elixxir Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Grandma doesn't want to think about the importance of privacy, let alone tinker with settings to obtain it. Privacy by default is necessary to protect everyone.
Tags Individual, United States, English