Application Date 2019-04-02 10:07:09
Application Language English
Applicant City Danville
Applicant State/Province CA
Applicant Country United States
What languages do you speak? English
What is your occupation? IT
How many years experience in your field? 1-3
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Bachelor’s degree (for example: BA. BS)
Please describe your experience in the Crypto/Blockchain space, if any? Investing/research
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Danville
Node State California
Node Country United States
For which networks Have you ever operated a node?
What kind of improvements would you like to see in Elixxir nodes vs. previous the previous nodes you have supported? Never had a previous node, but fast learner and will put everything needed towards this!
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an Elixxir node? Only an understanding, but have been doing research and I am willing to put any needed resources towards running an Elixxir node.
What is a reasonable maximum connection speed on which you could operate a BetaNet node in your geographic region? (Where 0 = 10 Megabits/second, and 100 = 10 Gigabits/second) 80
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? (As a percentage) 90
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. . 16 cents per kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator? (Where 0 = 1 hour/month, and 100 = 20 hours/month) 100
If you were selected to run a BetaNet node, would it run on your own hardware or be deployed to cloud-based servers? Both
In what type of environment would this server be located? Rented office space
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published Elixxir BetaNet node specifications? No
Yes (Please list specs)
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below: No, would purchase all new hardware.
Do you have past experience deploying servers to cloud-based services? No
Yes (please specify)
Why do you want to be a node? I believe in Elixxir’s vision and I am willing to put significant resources towards helping the vision succeed.
How did you originally hear about Elixxir? Twitter
Which current Elixxir communities are you a member of? Facebook, Twitter
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the Elixxir platform? If Elixxir can deliver it’s stated goals of being the fastest, most secure, and use case of full privacy messager with payments, I believe it will be the most dominant blockchain ever.
Outside of Elixxir communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones?
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? No.
As part of growing the Elixxir community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an Elixxir BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. Yes (how much content on a monthly basis?)
If yes, how much content on a monthly basis? As much is requested/needed
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Decentralized means that there is no single point where the decision is made. Every node makes a decision for it’s own behaviour and the resulting system behaviour is the aggregate response. Distributed means that the processing is shared across multiple nodes, but the decisions may still be centralized and use complete system knowledge. I fall on the side that wants as much decentralization as possible with a large amount of quality nodes.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the Elixxir platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Elixxir is a platform that offers full spectrum privacy, even offering meta data protection making it unique, while at the same time offering top notch security with quantum resistence and the fastest speeds around with an unheard of 100k+ tx/s! Users what use cases and two of the best are secure messaging and easy payments.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the Elixxir Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Privacy is of utmost importance because people want to be assured their information is in their control and not being sent and used to outside entitities. Let alone of their data get’s into the wrong hands and used against them as in the case of identity fraud. Trust is key among people nowadays and if people can trust Elixxir because of quantum resistant security and full data protection, Elixxir will thrive.
Tags Individual, United States, English
1 Like

We have lots of experienced node runners among the applicants, but also some “enthusiastic newcomers” like this applicant. How far should we go in welcoming newcomers like this one?

This is my application and I promise that if given the chance I will exceed expectations by giving my all through resource and time allocation as well as passion for Elixxir in general. I truly believe in Elixxir’s vision and have had success with the areas in life I believe in. I would be honored to be one of the “enthusiastic newcomers”. I have already been a strong advocate for Elixxir and will continue to share its inspiring message with everyone I am able to.

2 Likes

Thanks for adding to the conversation. The Elixxir team is balancing between two interests on this question. On the one hand, we do want a diversity of backgrounds and experience levels among the BetaNet node runners. These diverse perspectives will help us surface key questions and blind spots to address as we work towards the MainNet. On the other hand, we have limits to the amount of technical support we can provide.

We would be in trouble with a BetaNet of 100% “enthusiastic newcomers,” but we definitely plan to include some BetaNet node runners with a fresh set of eyes.

Great, good job, I’m sure you can be of great help in the BetaNode phase and later in the Mainnet.

Yes, I completely understand and would like to say that I am a quick learner and I am 100% comitted to put in the work to fully understand how to successfully run a BetaNet node for Elixxir with the help of technical support, the community, and my own research.

Also, I have successfully completed the IBM online course for Blockchain Essentials as well as the UC Berkeley Haas Blockchain: Technologies and Applications for Business course/certification. I will continue my education and would love to gain hands on experience through supporting Elixxir’s BetaNet and in any other ways you and the team would recommend.

2 Likes

Woo!!! :smiley: :raised_hands: