Application Date 2019-03-12 1:04:30
Application Language English
Applicant City Vienna
Applicant State/Province VIenna
Applicant Country Austria
What languages do you speak? English, German, Serbian, Slovak, Czech
What is your occupation? IT
How many years experience in your field? 4-7
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Graduated Secondary or High School, or equivalent
Please describe your experience in the Crypto/Blockchain space, if any? I have experience with Mining, Staking and hosting Masternodes. I am a crypto enthusiast since 2013 and see a very bright future and enormous potential for these technologies. Ive attented 2 technical Blockchain courses and am studying IT security at an University.
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Vienna
Node State Vienna
Node Country Austria
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? A Privacy Coin (Fork of PIVX)
What kind of improvements would you like to see in Elixxir nodes vs. previous the previous nodes you have supported? Better distribution, less inflation
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an Elixxir node? None I can think of
What is a reasonable maximum connection speed on which you could operate a BetaNet node in your geographic region? (Where 0 = 10 Megabits/second, and 100 = 10 Gigabits/second) 30
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? (As a percentage) 100
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. . ~17 cents per kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator? (Where 0 = 1 hour/month, and 100 = 20 hours/month) 50
If you were selected to run a BetaNet node, would it run on your own hardware or be deployed to cloud-based servers? Both
In what type of environment would this server be located?
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter?
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published Elixxir BetaNet node specifications?
Yes (Please list specs)
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Do you have past experience deploying servers to cloud-based services? Yes (please specify)
Yes (please specify) I ve deployed multiple Linux Servers on Cloudservices, Ive worked with Server Hosting , Maintaining and have some experience with Debian, RedHat and Fedora. I hosted some Masternodes on Cloud Based Servers and would like to start off with a Cloud Based Server and migrate to a Hardware Server once I know more about everything :)
Why do you want to be a node? I want to be part of the decentralized dream and actively help to establish it. Elixxir and Blockchaintechnologies have the power to heal our corrupted Systems and create a fair future for everybody.
How did you originally hear about Elixxir? By reading about David Chaum, Im interested in his work, got to know about him at my University. I knew about ecash and some other cool things Chaum did and recently found out that he has is working on Elixxir. I giggled when I found out that my Programming lecturer met David recently.
Which current Elixxir communities are you a member of? Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Medium, Twitter
Are you an active member of those communities? Yes
What specifically, interests you about the Elixxir platform? The Speed and Privacy it will offer. Scalabilty for mass adoption and the use of Chat paired with Token Sending/Receiving functions make it even more attractive. (WeChat comparison) The way it tries to solve speed and security issues and get them work together. Extremely interesting technology!
Outside of Elixxir communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? I am a Student and more of a passive reader and technology interested learner. I read a lot of articles, watch videos and talks from Crypto Events always trying to know more about the underlying technologies.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? I ve only attended virtually and watched Talks and Videos of conferences like CryptoInvestSummit and many others
As part of growing the Elixxir community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an Elixxir BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. Yes (how much content on a monthly basis?)
If yes, how much content on a monthly basis? I would create articels and documentation on Steemit on a monthly basis (maybe every 2-3weeks) , maybe on Reddit and Medium
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? The best way to explain this is with this brilliant quotes. "The distributed ledger is a database held and updated independently by each participant or node in a large network. The distribution is unique: records are not communicated to various nodes by a central authority, but are instead independently constructed and held by every node. That is, every single node on the network processes every transaction, coming to its own conclusions and then voting on those conclusions to make certain the majority agree with the conclusions. Once there is this consensus, the distributed ledger has been updated, and all nodes maintain their own identical copy of the ledger. This architecture allows for a new dexterity as a system of record that goes beyond being a simple database." It enables trustless relationships between entities and will definitely change a lot of things that are going wrong in our world. It will change our ineffective corrupt systems to more advanced effective and fair solutions that empowers every person instead of central accumulation of power and resources. Simple Decentralization without a distributed ledger could (Murphys Law ? ) run into following problem. "We all make decisions (constrained to be sure) but our decisions influence the decisions of all around us until we get “large” system level behaviour (e.g. capitalism). A key characteristic is that typically no single node will have complete system information. Distributed means that the processing is shared across multiple nodes, but the decisions may still be centralized and use complete system knowledge. " Now that is beautiful balance between both systems. People tend to think in Black and White, good or bad, yes or no, but you have to find the middle way and not live up to the extremes. There is Yin and Yang, but you gotta find the balance between them.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the Elixxir platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. First of all it claims to be alot faster by using precomputation. Therefore it has immense scaling potential and should be able to handle massive traffic. The Privacy and Security is over the top, Ive never read something more promising and technically interesting than about the Elixxir Project. It differs from any other project that I know, by securing each token individually instead of securing a wallet as a single unit. It doesnt store the transactions on the blockchain but keeps them between the interacting parties. There is a randomized node selection algorithm that makes nodes work together on a specific single event. Therefore it creates higher network integrity and provides privacy on an extremely high level. As we all know, security usually goes against speed. Elixxir looks like it has broken the old rule and is exceptionally fast with no cuts of privacy/security but enhancement of those. Its the holy trinity metaphorically speaking :) Decentralized, Private/Secure, Speed
Privacy by Default is a goal of the Elixxir Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? Privacy by Default is an extremely important Security mechanism that prevents people, who are not techies (an extremely big amount of the whole population) or people who are not too conscious about the importance of security and data protection,from damage of external entities that collect data and create profiles or impose censorship in the background. If a System comes out "secure" out of the box and offers Metadata protection, so the user does not necessarily have to do too many tweaks, that is a great plus of overall Security! It creates digital sovereignty for everbody! *Trustless * *Decentralized* *Privacy* *SelfControl and Freedom*
Tags Individual, Austria, English