Application Date 2019-02-21 9:21:07
Application Language English
Applicant City Xenia
Applicant State/Province Ohio
Applicant Country United States
What languages do you speak? English, some French and Moroccan, Mathematics
What is your occupation? Software Development
How many years experience in your field? 16+
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Master’s degree (for example: MA, MS, MEng, MEd, MSW, MBA)
Please describe your experience in the Crypto/Blockchain space, if any? I run a small mining farm of about 40 1080 Ti GPUs which I started in late 2017 and have applied to a variety of cryptocurrencies.
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Xenia
Node State Ohio
Node Country United States
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? RVN BTX BCI AKA XDNA BTG PIRL
What kind of improvements would you like to see in Elixxir nodes vs. previous the previous nodes you have supported? The quality and availability of performance statistics is important. These should contain sufficient granularity to identify the points at which performance loss is occurring and help node operators direct resources effectively to speed nodes up.
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an Elixxir node?
What is a reasonable maximum connection speed on which you could operate a BetaNet node in your geographic region? (Where 0 = 10 Megabits/second, and 100 = 10 Gigabits/second) 50
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? (As a percentage) 99
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. . .11 $/kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator? (Where 0 = 1 hour/month, and 100 = 20 hours/month) 42
If you were selected to run a BetaNet node, would it run on your own hardware or be deployed to cloud-based servers? Both
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? Yes (please describe)
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published Elixxir BetaNet node specifications? Yes (Please list specs)
Yes (Please list specs) Threadripper 1950x (16-core/32-thread) 3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4 RAM, Four of: GTX 1080Ti GPU
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Do you have past experience deploying servers to cloud-based services? Yes (please specify)
Yes (please specify) Some experience on my own time, playing around with the google cloud SDK to create toy examples. Its not much but I am well positioned to ramp up to full speed should the need arise.
Why do you want to be a node? I think cryptocurrency is a neat idea and I want to see it succeed for several reasons. One reason is that, with the appropriate support, it could eliminate the approximately 2% transaction fee that the credit card company(s) monopolize. That 2% applied to most consumer and much business economy amounts to a gargantuan macroeconomic inefficiency. If it takes off in the long run (many years) I would like to make some money for my efforts.
How did you originally hear about Elixxir? reading cryptocurrency news articles (google)
Which current Elixxir communities are you a member of? Telegram, Discord
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the Elixxir platform? A focus on transaction throughput, and security against bad actors.
Outside of Elixxir communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones?
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)?
As part of growing the Elixxir community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an Elixxir BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. No
If yes, how much content on a monthly basis?
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Decentralization is a distribution of control/power over individuals and groups whereas distributed networks refers to physical distribution of the computing systems. I am very pro-decentralization as centralization almost inevitably leads to the exploitation of the system for those in control to the detriment of everyone else.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the Elixxir platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. Elixxir is promising two key things which I view as important. Firstly, Elixxir promises a better transaction throughput: this is necessary for making a practical currency. Secondly, only a single good node is required in order to reject a round of transaction processing. This makes the 51% attack non-applicable. Trust and belief in a currency is everything.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the Elixxir Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? I think China, Russia, Iran and many others are good examples of how oppression can be systematically applied such that people have to fear that their every move might be construed as a threat to the power structure. With internet monitoring and "big data" processing such oppression is mechanized and automated to a new degree, giving people even less freedom. In more democratic countries there may be less fear of the state currently but its hard to say that personal freedoms will be maintained if lives cannot be private. There is also the negative effects of a customized, targeted, aggressive, and nearly inescapable barrage of advertisement which is the current internet experience for most. I think that in the long run there is little reason to believe (given human history), that the lack of privacy and the extensive personal information collection will result in anything other than disaster for most of us.
Tags Individual, United States, English
2 Likes

good vision, you have my support

Would be good to have you onboard