No notifications on iOS after transfer to new phone

Platform: iOS
OS Version: 15.2.1
Network type: WiFi / 5G
Issue type: Bug
App version: 1.0.4
Build number: 3287
SDK version: 4.0.0

Describe the Crash or Bug: when I first installed the app, notifications worked fine when I received new messages. After buying a new phone and using the iOS Quick Start to transfer all apps and data from the old phone to the new phone, notifications stopped working. It probably can be solved by uninstalling/reinstalling the app, but then I would have to choose another username so I don’t want to do that now.

My son had exactly the same: at first notifications worked, after transfer to new phone it stopped working.

We have not released the capability to transfer phones yet (I literally merged it a couple hours ago, actually), so what you did is completely untested and unknown to work. Are you able to open the app and send and receive messages? I was under the impression that apple updates were like android and that certain secrets did not transfer, which would break the ability to open the app without it creating an entirely new user.

Assuming you can send/receive, then I suspect you can disable and re-enable notifications to get the new device identifier up on firebase and then notifications will work again. Please let me know if that works or not. If it doesn’t I can have our notifications guy take a look into how we might make it work again.

Thanks for your report!

Yes, opening app and send/receive messages work fine after transfer, only the notifications didn’t work.

I can confirm that disabling/re-enabling notifications works: I’m receiving notifications again.

Thanks for getting back, i’ll forward this to the iOS engineer. It sounds like when starting they need to re-register for notifications. It should get fixed sometime in the next 2 months.