How to send your first message over the xx network (and get a few xx coins)

The xx network team has put together the xx coin game dapp as a fun way to test the xx network. The game is available for anyone to play, but only those who have already received xx coins (either through coin sales or as a node operator) are eligible to receive xx coins.

The game will be open from 1PM UTC to 3 PM UTC on April 6th, 2021 along with the Celebration Livestream, where David Chaum, the team, and some node operators will discuss the xx network, the xxDK and the xx messenger. The game will end after 500 plays.

To play, simply download the app, enter the Ethereum address (where you have already received xx coins) and a message.

Your message will travel privately over the xx network and the team on the live stream will read the message live (assuming it is not too raunchy and in a language we understand).

When playing the game, a cryptographic operation will use your message and a precommitted salt to randomly choose the number of xx coins you win!

Windows

Win32

Win64

1. Extract the zip file.
  2. Click xx-coin-game.bat to run the game.

Linux

Linux64 (GUI required)

1. Extract the zip file.
  2. From the command line, run ./xx-coin-game.sh.

Mac

Mac64

1. Extract the zip file.
  2. Open terminal, you can easily do this by pressing Command+Space and typing in Terminal, then pressing enter
  3. Type cd and space into the terminal, then drag the extracted folder on, and press enter
  4. Run xattr -rc xx-coin-game.sh as a command
  5. Run ./xx-coin-game.sh as a command

Playing the game

When you first open the app, it will need to connect and register with the network. This can take a few minutes. Once connected and registered, the screen will look like:

Then simply enter your Ethereum address and a message and click Send over xx.

The network is still a little buggy. If it doesn’t work, just try again. This test will give us the information we need to fix the last final issues.

If it doesn’t work perfectly the first time, please email the logs (assets/xx-coin-game.log) to [email protected] with a short description of what happened. This will help us get the network working perfectly!

Source Code:

The xx coin game is released under BSD 2-Clause and can be found here:

Client: elixxir / xx coin game ui · GitLab

Server: elixxir / xx coin game · GitLab

Salt commitment:

The salt will be revealed after the game is over. The commitment is:

Input: “test”

Intermediary: 0xb8fd918aae283b63b57e3d6970410a4ece8803e429d9ce55ce541be9e6d96f71

Output: 32

The salt reveal and more cryptographic information will be released after the stream

Coin Probabilities:

The number coins that can be received and their probabilities are as follows:

coins 32 64 128 256 512 1024
probability 51.5625% 25% 12.5% 6.25% 3.125% 1.5625%
9 Likes

Shame, have an ETH address but still in my grace period, so didn’t seem to work.

Love what’s happening and thank you for sharing!

3 Likes

I got this error:
ERROR: failed to send single-use transmission CMIX message: Sending cmix message timed outgitlab.com/elixxir/client/network/message.sendCmixHelper gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/message/sendCmix.go:71gitlab.com/elixxir/client/network/message.(*Manager).SendCMIX gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/message/sendCmix.go:43gitlab.com/elixxir/client/network.(*manager).SendCMIX gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/send.go:31gitlab.com/elixxir/client/single.(*Manager).transmitSingleUse.func1 gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/single/transmission.go:120runtime.goexit runtime/asm_amd64.s:1357

1 Like

Wow, i’m so excited to test this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

many times have this error: ERROR: failed to send single-use transmission CMIX message: Sending cmix message timed outgitlab.com/elixxir/client/network/message.sendCmixHelper gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/message/sendCmix.go:71gitlab.com/elixxir/client/network/message.(*Manager).SendCMIX gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/message/sendCmix.go:43gitlab.com/elixxir/client/network.(*manager).SendCMIX gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/send.go:31gitlab.com/elixxir/client/single.(*Manager).transmitSingleUse.func1 gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/single/transmission.go:120runtime.goexit runtime/asm_amd64.s:1357

1 Like

Node operator here who’s coins will not be delivered until mainnet. Could not receive because the coins aren’t in my account :frowning: Node2

1 Like

**ERROR: failed to send single-use transmission CMIX message: Sending cmix message timed outgitlab.com/elixxir/client/network/message.sendCmixHelper gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/message/sendCmix.go:71gitlab.com/elixxir/client/network/message.(*Manager).SendCMIX gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/message/sendCmix.go:43gitlab.com/elixxir/client/network.(manager).SendCMIX gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/network/send.go:31gitlab.com/elixxir/client/single.(Manager).transmitSingleUse.func1 gitlab.com/elixxir/[email protected]/single/transmission.go:120runtime.goexit runtime/asm_amd64.s:1357

ERROR: waiting for response to single-use transmission timed out after 30s.

ERROR: failed to send single-use transmission message: 1 round failures, 0 round event time outs.

awesome!!

1 Like

It worked for me after the third try. Unfortunately I was too late :neutral_face:

1 Like

damn, first two days I don’t check the forum and everything happens! :hushed: :heart: :pray:t2:

1 Like